Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I jsut hatched out my first Ameraucana on May 18th (my 30th b-day present to myself!). We had a power outage on day 17 and I lost all but one chick.
This is Rocky

I'm not sure what kind of quality she really is as far as breeding but as I said she is my first. Her partner in the back is a mix-breed that I took from my broody so that Rocky would not be alone, pretty sure that it is also a pullet.

I have an opportunity to get a mate for her around the same age but the roos in question are blue and splash rather than Wheaten. My question is what offspring could I expect if I get the blue or the splash roos? Should I hold out for a regular Wheaten?

I jsut hatched out my first Ameraucana on May 18th (my 30th b-day present to myself!). We had a power outage on day 17 and I lost all but one chick.
This is Rocky

I'm not sure what kind of quality she really is as far as breeding but as I said she is my first. Her partner in the back is a mix-breed that I took from my broody so that Rocky would not be alone, pretty sure that it is also a pullet.

I have an opportunity to get a mate for her around the same age but the roos in question are blue and splash rather than Wheaten. My question is what offspring could I expect if I get the blue or the splash roos? Should I hold out for a regular Wheaten?
She doesn't seem like a bad quality pullet. Assuming the blue and splash are all based on the wheaten variety, you will get 50/50 blues and wheatens from the blue rooster and all blues from a splash rooster.

She doesn't seem like a bad quality pullet. Assuming the blue and splash are all based on the wheaten variety, you will get 50/50 blues and wheatens from the blue rooster and all blues from a splash rooster.
They are blue wheaten and splash wheaten. In that case I would have to go with the blue! I want some true Wheaten offspring but like the blues too. Good to know that she is fair quality, to me she is just gorgeous!!! Thanks

What Is an APA/ABA "Breed" Anyways???

Scroll down to post 18 of the above link for the single best explanation I’ve read on what defines an APA breed.

Actually I recommend reading the entire thing if you have the time. You will not regret it.
smile.png

For shows all it needs to do is meet the SOPs... If I was selling birds that had been recently outcrossed, i would call them a project and clearly state what they were and what they could be hiding. Actually, I wouldn't sell any birds that didnt consistently produce SOP offspring... Not saying show quality but birds of the proper color and type unless the person was working on the same project. I currently have AMs from a breeder that looked great; large , typey, excellent color... I was pretty happy until year two when my black rooster started leaking gold... His size made me decide to keep him and try to work through it. Well, i bred him back to one of his daughters and got a clean faced cockerel... Then realized that some of the offspring had yellow feet... Two years of work down the drain. My whole flock is compromised other than my lavenders and will need to be culled eventually. I cant even sell any eggs or chicks in good conscious until i work through these issues. Luckily i dont have to rely on my chickens to pay their own way but if I did it would be a real hardship. So at worst case you should inform buyers on where your birds are if there are potential issues hiding under the surface best case wait until they are consistently back to SOP before releasing them to buyers... Just my opinion.

I agree. Culls are what a deep freezer is for.

I also believe one should fully disclose, to the best of their knowledge, whether or not their birds carry what others may consider ‘undesirable’ genes or traits.

Because when push comes to shove, no one is responsible for the quality of birds you have, breed, or sell... except for YOU. :)

Back
Top Bottom