Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I was typing my comment while this posted lol yes coffee!!!

A Sunday morning, browsing the web, coffee in hand.
caf.gif

Wish everyday was Sunday!

Eight weeks huh? Are you expert enough to pick out the pullets as opposed to cockerels at that age?

Oh, goodness, no. He already has them separated out....I'm assuming he sexed them properly, tho. Who knows? May get a surprise.

Congratulations, looking forward to seeing pics. I am wondering if you will walk away with more than one.

Well, I would totally walk away with all of them, but I could legally only take three because we're in town, and I'd have to convince my mom (we live together) that it was a good idea. I might be able to convince her, tho. I think I've got her worn down on at least getting two, lol. Guess we'll see!!! 2pm cannot come fast enough!!!

Well, bad news everybody....the guy didn't have pure bred Ameraucanas. I thought they were at first, and everything about them LOOKED like an Ameraucana, until I got home and noticed that the chick I selected (a pretty little splash) had feathered shanks. I was soooo bummed! Turns out, he had no idea what he was talking about or he was lying to me. I'm really disappointed. The whole reason I wanted Ameraucanas was to breed them and have a nice big flock, and sell hatching eggs for others who want REAL Ams. I'm really bummed I didn't get a purebred like I wanted, but I'm still really excited about the prospect of some pretty eggs in the Spring (or maybe sooner, if I get lucky) and to be honest, I didn't have really high hopes that the guy actually knew what he was talking about. But a girl can dream, right? Maybe I'll just have to order some hatching eggs off one of the lovely BYCers, who I KNOW know the difference between an Am and an EE. In the meantime, I have a cute little baby to keep me entertained, so I guess things worked out ok in the end :) Sorry I don't get to post pics of my pretty baby here, tho. I suppose I'll just mosey on over to the EE thread and see what they think of her, lol. Bye, everybody!

ETA: So I just did a little research, and it turns out that lots of people have had problems with their Ams babies being born with a few feather stubs on their legs. So, now I'm thinking that maybe she IS pure bred Am and just misfortunate enough to have gotten this defect. In either case, I realize I can't breed her, but since everything else about her looks Ameraucana, I'm thinking that she just has this feather stub defect since there's not very many of these feathers on her legs. I didn't manage to get any pics of her tonight since her and my Wellie were getting to know each other and I didn't want to interrupt, but I'll take pics tomorrow and put them up so I can get some opinions from all of you about whether she is Ameraucana or not. Have a great night, everyone!!

Last edited:

Here are a couple of my project colors at the show . Took reserve AOV with my lavender cuckoo cock . A good win considering there were a lot of lavenders . So AOV class had a lot of birds . This was the Ameraucana Alliance Club national meet . The cuckoo cockerel was best of variety but then he was the only one .

Hello i have an ameracuana roo of unknown age, i got hm from an auction about 8 weeks ago. I have never heard him crow, occasionally he opens his mouth (could a yawn? Do chickens yawn?) But never any noise from him. He is also a big scaredy cat. He has never in my presence tried to mount a female and if they so much as look at him he runs the othet way. Is this common? Something he will hopefully grow out of?

Hello i have an ameracuana roo of unknown age, i got hm from an auction about 8 weeks ago. I have never heard him crow, occasionally he opens his mouth (could a yawn? Do chickens yawn?) But never any noise from him. He is also a big scaredy cat. He has never in my presence tried to mount a female and if they so much as look at him he runs the othet way. Is this common? Something he will hopefully grow out of?

Give him time. I bet he is still young and he will get in the mood to crow and do his job soon. I have a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel that didn't crow or mount any of the pullets or hens until he was about 21 weeks old. He now at about 30 weeks is very manly in every respect. Kern

Back
Top Bottom