Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Am I allowed to post someone else's photo from a previous post?

Just such an impressive roo! Belongs to samouw

Last edited:
Am I allowed to post someone else's photo from a previous post?

Just such an impressive roo! Belongs to samouvw

Sure. I built a whole thread in Random Ramblings around a picture I stole from another thread
gig.gif

I'm sure samouw wouldn't mind. I wish someone thought enough of my birds to put them up as examples
wink.png

Sure. I built a whole thread in Random Ramblings around a picture I stole from another thread
gig.gif

I'm sure samouw wouldn't mind. I wish someone thought enough of my birds to put them up as examples
wink.png

It doesn't hurt that he is black, my favorite Am color!

Last edited:

This is a lavender cuckoo cock that took reserve AOV . This is a project color . A good win as there were lots of lavenders entered plus some splash . I helped develop the Ameraucana breed and still creating new varieties .What

This is a cuckoo project cockerel . Closely related to the lavender cuckoos . He is actually a son of the above Lavender cuckoo . If you only knew what has been used to create these . I know what was used even 40 years ago . What is important is what I kept to breed from . I have probably 8 + years in the cuckoo and 5 years in the lavender cuckoo project .

This is a cuckoo project cockerel . Closely related to the lavender cuckoos . He is actually a son of the above Lavender cuckoo . If you only knew what has been used to create these . I know what was used even 40 years ago . What is important is what I kept to breed from . I have probably 8 + years in the cuckoo and 5 years in the lavender cuckoo project .
Beautiful!

This is only my opinion, and means nothing, but I just think the ameraucanas are much, much prettier birds than the legbars. I have AMs, and a friend has CCL, and visually, at least to me, there is no comparison.
I have had chickens for 7 years now, but just in the last year started getting some purebreds to breed. Spend the money to get better birds as long as you do your homework and know that you are getting quality birds. I have a list of people waiting for me to start hatching from my AMs. I had 6 extra cockerels from my first straight run batch of chicks, and those sold in two days after posting. I've never sold any breed of rooster that fast.
I haven't made any profit, but I have broken even this year by selling eggs, chicks, and started birds. That's not bad for a hobby that I would be doing anyway :thumbsup

I am in the same boat. I have 6 extra cockerels. Do you mind if I asked where you sold them? What is a reasonable price. I bought good birds and I've never sold before.

I am in the same boat. I have 6 extra cockerels. Do you mind if I asked where you sold them? What is a reasonable price. I bought good birds and I've never sold before.
Honestly, Craigslist. This is my first year selling, and I dont FB, so I got started with CL. I only sold them for $10 each, but you can't give roosters away around here. Everyone that bought them drove from an hour and a half or more away. The people that knew who Paul Smith was jumped at them, and others just wanted them to make EEs

Honestly, Craigslist. This is my first year selling, and I dont FB, so I got started with CL. I only sold them for $10 each, but you can't give roosters away around here. Everyone that bought them drove from an hour and a half or more away. The people that knew who Paul Smith was jumped at them, and others just wanted them to make EEs
I could not give my Am and BCM cockerels away, even on Craigslist. I found a woman that would take them.... she eats them. I gave her my Black Am cockerel thinking I would get a better one in spring, He is nice but not as nice as the Redden roo..... anyway..... my flock fell apart.... they forgot how to roost, they wandered around.... basically they were lost. I didn't know how hard he worked.... clearly he was unappreciated. I went and rescued him.... I don't know if he is grateful but she had him in a little pen fattening him up! I also gave her a blue Am that was bleeding thru and a one winged BCM. It is so hard with the roosters......

Sigh...I cant wait to get my Ameraucanas this feb or march! I ordered them from max strawn! he has direct lines from Paul Smith's birds and is very into showing them etc. I wont be showing them but plan to keep the lines and colors pure. Even if they arent great layers, I dont think I will be disappointed cause I'm really just in it for all the love and enjoyment they give in return. the eggs r an awesome added bonus! DEFINITELY better than store bought. i get so attached to all my animals...
and have only recently discovered the joy of having chickens! I was flogged repeatedly by a rooster in OK. at my Nana"s as a kid...have been scared to death of birds until the last year of my life...I'm 50 now! So so crazy! I'm just really thankful that i got to discover the joy of such intelligent birds while I am still here on earth! I LOVE EACH AND EVERY ONE SO MUCH!
My flock is 14 til the Ameraucanas come from Max this Spring! By then I will have an extra coop and run for the new birds! And I will take 2 or 3 to my bff in Missouri this Summer once I figure out what I'm keeping. And I shouldnt say this but Max Strawn is such a good looking guy!!!!

Back
Top Bottom