Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Ok Ameraucana breeders..... this fall I'm looking to start flocks of bantam buffs and bantam wheaton and blue wheatons. I'm also looking for more BBS hens. Other than the ABC breeder's directory can you guys point me in the right direction. I'm looking for started or adult stock

I would guess raccoon. They live and destroy both in and out of the city.

Get a trap. If you need more information on which trap, email me, ok?

I am so sorry about your pullet.

Um--if it is a raccoon it will be back.

I fight them constantly.

Catherine

Ok more pictures of my Hen and Roo. They would not help me take pictures so hopefully you can see what you need to see. EE?

34470_1444577709381_1081264528_2238303_7090476_n.jpg

34470_1444577789383_1081264528_2238305_623534_n.jpg

Thank you! I *think* the hen has been laying but the eggs have been an off white. So that confirms it. She is a sweet easy going hen and I enjoy her. The rooster doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body but he loves his ladies
wink.png

Id like to expand the Hens then to complement the rooster. Any good breeders that carry splash or wheaten ameraucana eggs or chicks? Id like to build a flock.

Last edited:
Quote:
Try Tailfeathers, Pips&Peeps or Peachick. They have wonderful wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas where splash pullets and roos show up from time to time.

your roo is beautiful.

Quote:
What Mahonri said. If you get a regular wheaten girl you will get all blue wheaten offspring. The splash wheaten are lovely (especially the roos) but they are not an accepted color or something. I don't show- so not too up on all that. While you're at it- you should get some welsummer or marans girls for him and you can make olive eggers
big_smile.png

Quote:
Try Tailfeathers, Pips&Peeps or Peachick. They have wonderful wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas where splash pullets and roos show up from time to time.

your roo is beautiful.

Thank you! Do you have a link for Peachick? I'm having trouble finding it.

Quote:
What Mahonri said. If you get a regular wheaten girl you will get all blue wheaten offspring. The splash wheaten are lovely (especially the roos) but they are not an accepted color or something. I don't show- so not too up on all that. While you're at it- you should get some welsummer or marans girls for him and you can make olive eggers
big_smile.png

I don't believe this is a splash wheaten cockerel. It is a splash looking easter egger.

His eyes are yellow, his beak is tinged yellow. Ameraucanas have white skin.

So, breeding this bird to a wheaten or blue wheaten ameraucana will give you more easter eggers. You don't what genes he is carrying.

It's funny how the enitre dynamics of a flock can change with the removal of one bird. I finally sold my big wheaten roo. 5 month old Coyote has moved into the #2 spot behind the Wellie. Groovy Man (my SW) might as well be a non-laying hen. He's useless except for eye candy, and my huge giant cochin roo is still hiding in the woods all day. The teenagers seem to be laying low even more so now.

28521_056.jpg

Here's another shot of Coyote. He's SO BLACK!
28521_063.jpg

And the youngest of his future "personal flock"
28521_066.jpg

These chicks vary so much in size already. I'm wondering if it's a boy vs girl thing, or if I'll end up with some big girls too. If I remember correctly- the wheatens were not like that.

Back
Top Bottom