Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Ok. Thank you guys so much! This is my first time with ameraucanas, and after searching so long for real ams I just wanted to be sure I'd gotten good ones, since I'd like to breed. I'm loving this breed so far and really want to try to improve upon it. Hopefully I can get myself some amazing offspring out of these two girls, because so far I've been really pleased with their type, and Nora has nearly perfect lacing, which is not super evident in that pic, and her sister, Cora, has the perfect ameraucana body type, so I think I could really have some success with them, and I thank you both for your advice. It really is very appreciated, especially from two people whose expertise I really trust. Thanks, guys! And wish me luck with my girls!!!

ETA: Still waiting for my dang blue eggs, tho. They're 21 1/2 weeks now, and their combs are still totally nude colored, so I think I have quite a wait ahead of me....bummer.

My Ams seem to start late, around 24 weeks.

Ok, so does that mean I probably shouldn't use them for breeding? They're my only blues, and really want to breed some BBS.I plan on getting a blue roo once my breeder has some available. Would getting a light blue possibly correct the problem?
I have read that the few random black feathers on blue birds are a result of a blue x black mating. Many breeders use black in their blue breeding program to darken the blue and perhaps improve tha lacing, but the errant black feathers can crop up. It is a fairly common occurance and while those birds are probably not show quality, they can be breeder quality. I believe putting your pullet with a blue cock should help clear it up, but he does not have to be a light blue.

Ok, thanks so much for clearing that up, KYTinpusher. I do know that my breeder uses some black in his blue program, which is probably why Nora is such a pretty darker blue with great lacing, so that totally makes sense. Thanks a bunch for your input!

They do have a bit more green than this, it's just not showing well up under the blue tarp that's up for shade.
They're 13 weeks old from the Paul Smith/Clif Redden lines. I can't help but admire their sleek appearance.

Unfortunately, cockerel with a red leg ring has a small bit of red leakage on his forehead, but he's the only one out of the many, many chicks Susan hatched from the two pens these guys came out of. The others are maturing beautifully so far.

The boys

Two of the girls

Last edited:
They do have a bit more green than this, it's just not showing well up under the blue tarp that's up for shade. They're 13 weeks old from the Paul Smith/Clif Redden lines. I can't help but admire their sleek appearance. Unfortunately, cockerel with a red leg ring has a small bit of red leakage on his forehead, but he's the only one out of the many, many chicks Susan hatched from the two pens these guys came out of. The others are maturing beautifully so far. The boys Two of the girls
Gorgeous!! I just got a black baby (hopefully a pullet) and I hope she's half as pretty as yours, especially the one in the last pic- really lovely!

Gorgeous!! I just got a black baby (hopefully a pullet) and I hope she's half as pretty as yours, especially the one in the last pic- really lovely!

Thank you. Where'd you get your baby from? I bet she is adorable. If you are ever in the market for hatching eggs, keep Susan Mouw in mind. She is ethical and honest. Her website is http://sandcastlesfarm.com/

Last edited:
They do have a bit more green than this, it's just not showing well up under the blue tarp that's up for shade.
They're 13 weeks old from the Paul Smith/Clif Redden lines. I can't help but admire their sleek appearance.

Unfortunately, cockerel with a red leg ring has a small bit of red leakage on his forehead, but he's the only one out of the many, many chicks Susan hatched from the two pens these guys came out of. The others are maturing beautifully so far.

The boys

Two of the girls

First cockerel could be a Max son, but the second cockerel is undoubtedly from pen #3. Shame I never showed that cockbird, but he was my only black cockerel until I got Max and I was afraid something would happen.

The second pullet is very nice!

Their feathering looks a little "loose" right now, but that will tighten up as they go through this juvenile molt.

My best, so far, keep of this year. Pick #1 from everything I've kept...at least so far. :)

This is a Max son, out of a Clif Redden hen.

Last edited:
Thank you Susan for the evaluation! Your #1 pick is beautiful.
Question. When you say their feathering is "loose" are you referring to the individual strands on the feathers not sticking together?

Edit - oh, the second pullet (based on our observations) is most likely also from Max. He throws some lovely offspring! :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom