Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Alright guys. I found myself a little birchen hen, bantam.
big_smile.png

I know this isn't a great picture, I'll have to take some more in the daylight. I mainly got her for a pet but figured it wouldn't hurt to know a little more about her. I know nothing about how an Ameraucana should look like.

big_smile.png

I know this isn't a great picture, I'll have to take some more in the daylight. I mainly got her for a pet but figured it wouldn't hurt to know a little more about her. I know nothing about how an Ameraucana should look like.

Did you do any research into the breed before purchasing her? Caveat emptor.
idunno.gif

http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html

Last edited:
big_smile.png

I don't have this color, but I think she is a silver, not a birchen. Birchen is not a recognized color on the Ameraucana Breeder's website. Here is a link to a picture of a Silver Ameraucana. http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook_files/lfsilverf.jpg

Did you do any research into the breed before purchasing her? Caveat emptor.
idunno.gif

http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html
I did read the standard on this website. It really doesn't give you a whole lot of information in my opinion. Apparently this hen was shown last year and she was RV as well as BB. Looking at some of these pictures on Google of Ameraucana bantam hens, my girl doesn't seem to have much of a beard & muffs...so I was interested in seeing what people that actually know this breed would have to say. Maybe it was a small show..?
Do you see something wrong with this bird..as in DQ's?

I don't have this color, but I think she is a silver, not a birchen. Birchen is not a recognized color on the Ameraucana Breeder's website. Here is a link to a picture of a Silver Ameraucana. http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook_files/lfsilverf.jpg
That's how much I know about Ameraucana colors. lol Yes, she definitely looks like a silver. Thanks.

I think mine might be, but am not sure.

Hey did you want to try and make mauve ameraucanas? I can bring down some eggs from my LF chocolate pullets and a blue cockerel when I come to Stockton.

Jean, have you ever crossed your Buffs to Black and got any off colors? Besides what you would expect from the cross I mean?

I would LOVE to hatch some Blue X Choc Ameraucana eggs but there's a problem... I don't have any incubators right now! I sold all of my table top styrofoam ones and my Brinsea because I'm getting a cabinet bator later this spring. I haven't hatched anything in what seems like ages.

Thank you for the offer (something to keep in mind for later this year), I'll make sure to find you and say hi at Stockton.
smile.png

I did read the standard on this website. It really doesn't give you a whole lot of information in my opinion. Apparently this hen was shown last year and she was RV as well as BB. Looking at some of these pictures on Google of Ameraucana bantam hens, my girl doesn't seem to have much of a beard & muffs...so I was interested in seeing what people that actually know this breed would have to say. Maybe it was a small show..?

That's how much I know about Ameraucana colors. lol Yes, she definitely looks like a silver. Thanks.
Note the color of the breast of the silver on the ABC site

Quote: Well yes and no.... she LOOKS like a silver BUT she is missing the brown coloring. I think she is an Easter Egger.... pretty girl either way. Most small shows like a fair, allow Easter Eggers. If she was sold to you as a Birchen.... they didn't know what she was either, since silvers are RARE they would KNOW she was silver.

What do you all think of my Blue boy here? Good bad ugly?

I like his comb, is he sun burnt. It looks like he's got gold in his hackle/saddle. I like the nice light blue, I just don't see much edging or lacing.......... When it comes to type I cannot tell to much from this pic. It is really hard to get them to stand properly, trust me I know..........................

Jean, have you ever crossed your Buffs to Black and got any off colors? Besides what you would expect from the cross I mean?

I would LOVE to hatch some Blue X Choc Ameraucana eggs but there's a problem... I don't have any incubators right now! I sold all of my table top styrofoam ones and my Brinsea because I'm getting a cabinet bator later this spring. I haven't hatched anything in what seems like ages.

Thank you for the offer (something to keep in mind for later this year), I'll make sure to find you and say hi at Stockton.
smile.png
Jeremy,

I haven't crossed my buffs to blacks. I do get some off colored chicks in the breeding pen and some of my cockerels have dun colored patches in their tails. The chicks I get either have spots or have a dark brown down their backs and buff color the rest of the body. I also get some blue tones in them which leads me to believe it is dun and maybe some partridge genes are floating around in there.

I am going to be selling four of my LF chocolate project birds too if you might want one instead of doing hatching right away.

The official standard is not on the ABC website, just an overview of type. The silver bird is supposed to have a salmon breast. Your bird does not and seems to have some lacing going on, which lead me to believe it is an ee.

I am on a temporary lap top computer right now and the pictures do not have much definition. What color are her legs?

Back
Top Bottom