Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

T have a blue wheaten Rooster which I just purchased. I am a novice and do not know how to evaluate him . I was told he is six months old but I do not know how to tell for sure. Chickens do not have teeth to evaluate age from. He has a very up right posture and his tail is just coming in after my dog had a chicken feather lunch. Debbie was protecting her pups when the accident happened so could blame no one but myself. I wanted to get pictures of him. He is a blue wheaten with a Grey beard and I just want another color. I raised Blue Merle shelties for 65 years and was one of-the oldest breeders in America until I moved to a very hateful town that loves Peta. They finally forced me to stop breeding a life long hobby so I turned to chickens.I do enjoy them but really miss my dogs and it would take reimporting dogs back to America to rekindle my line.

If you are intrested I would love to trade for a lavender rooster or a black split to lavender.

I suggest if you want to evaluate him you go to the ABC website and see if he has the correct body posture, feathering, etc that is required. Make sure he has white on the bottom of his feet - so many Easter Eggers look like Wheaten/Blue Wheaten - but they are not.

Lavender is not an accepted color yet. Black split to Lavender looks black. Both are available as chicks from breeders on the ABC website. There is a Lavender pair available for sale on BYC - go to the buy/sell/trade section. I do not know of anybody who wants to trade roosters. Since I don't know where you are I can't suggest nearby breeders.

http://www.ameraucana.org/

I have had such a crazy busy winter/early-spring that I only just this week set up my breeding pens for my blue andalusian-ameraucana project. I am so excited to get hatching! I had not hatched a single chick in one year! Just pretty much spent the last 12 months watching my birds grow out. Well they are all full grown now! lol
I have two pens set up for my project. Each pen has a fabulous Blue Andalusian cock and 5 black Am hens. I have two splash Andalusian cocks saved for later. I am planning to switch out the cocks after I get some babies from the first two. Boy leg banding and super good records are going to be super important this year.

Hi Heatherscooby!!!
frow.gif

My fear. Now do I have any recourse against the breeder? How an I prove that they're not true Ameraucanas? Is it even worth the hassle?

Hi
smile.png

I'm so sorry you were sold EE and not true Ameraucanas. Most of the time the sellers are just breeding birds they purchased from a hatchery that were mislabeled and sold to them that way.
If only we could get the hatchery's to properly label their birds this would stop.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I live about 20 minutes from you and I have some nice Ameraucanas in Lavender and Black if you are interested in those colors.

I just separated my Lavenders for breeding so I will have eggs/ chicks soon, Blacks I have now.

This is my Blehm Lavender roo

and my girls from a few different lines

(Pay no mind to the Cochin in the pic
lol.png
)

PM me if you are interested
big_smile.png

And Hi Jean
frow.gif
we spoke on the phone yesterday
big_smile.png

I was told these are Ameraucanas that hatched sometime in January. Opinions? They are very shiny, iridescent in the sunlight. Grayish-black feet. I just got them and unfortunately they cannot be mixed with my younger flock. They bullied the smaller ones and I have nowhere else to keep them (hence the box they are in) Luckily my mom is picking them up tomorrow and keeping them.

I was told these are Ameraucanas that hatched sometime in January. Opinions? They are very shiny, iridescent in the sunlight. Grayish-black feet. I just got them and unfortunately they cannot be mixed with my younger flock. They bullied the smaller ones and I have nowhere else to keep them (hence the box they are in) Luckily my mom is picking them up tomorrow and keeping them.
From what I can see, they appear to be the real deal. Too young to sex really, but I would guess a male/female pair.

Thank you. I was thinking the same thing. I am new to chickens, but the one on the left is bigger and more aggressive (to the other chickens) than the other and the comb is turning pink. They are both very docile with me though.

Back
Top Bottom