Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Here are some pictures of her taken just now.

You are in Australia, if I am not mistaken the UK standard is for them to have tails (Aracuana). I don't know if lavender is an excepted variety or not. She has the proper comb type, and some of them have tufts. Some don't because of a lethal gene when two tufted birds breed together. I am not sure of all this, its my guess. Hopefully another person can chime in. She is beautiful though, good luck!!!!

I'm quite new to this breed, but from your picks she looks clean faced. No muff or beard. If that's the case she is probably an Easter Egger, which is a non standard or mixed breed ameraucana.

Can you get closer pics of her comb and beard?

Edit-- I can see some beard but I'm still not really sure. Anyone else know?

Here are some pictures just taken closer up to her

Hello, It took me quite a while to find and order some chicks from Paul Smith's last hatch this spring. My favorite colors are blue and splash so I ordered 5 of each. While waiting, I had second thoughts and wished I had included some blacks. Before my gorgeous Smith chicks arrived, I learned a local breeder had 7 straight run blacks so I bought them. They were 3 weeks old. I'm pretty sure two (at least) have 3 rows and these 2

chest bumb a lot. A few friends want an am cockeral and I'd like to know they are of acceptable quality. One has a spot on the side of his head - I'm hoping that will fill in? Below are photos fo the 2. Thanks for your help!

You CAN NOT FEATHER SEX Chickens UNLESS you breed them that way! Vent sexing would be the only way to sex them unless it was a sexlink cross, autosexing breed.

I don't remember the combo but you have to have a slow feathering bird x with a fast feathering bird. I don't keep slow feathering birds in my flock unless they are patterned birds.
I have bred many different breeds of birds( all proper birds like ameracauna, RIR etc.) and feather sexing has worked in all of them for me. I have just once made a mistake when I thought a chicks was going to be a roo when it actually turned out to be a hen! I have been doing this for up to 35 years!

I have bred many different breeds of birds( all proper birds like ameracauna, RIR etc.) and feather sexing has worked in all of them for me. I have just once made a mistake when I thought a chicks was going to be a roo when it actually turned out to be a hen! I have been doing this for up to 35 years!
Nevermind that ! I read your post wrong!
Sorry!!!

I have a breeding question!
1f609.png
I have a blue wheaten roo, I want to put him over my blue wheaten hen, black and blue ameraucana hens. With those colors will I still have pure ameraucanas or will I have to call them Easter Eggers? Thanks guys for your help!

1f609.png
I have a blue wheaten roo, I want to put him over my blue wheaten hen, black and blue ameraucana hens. With those colors will I still have pure ameraucanas or will I have to call them Easter Eggers? Thanks guys for your help!

If you cross them with solid blue and black those would need to be EE. They would not breed true after that cross. Now the Blue Wheaten and the Blue Wheaten Roo will breed true.

1f609.png

Call them EE . The blue wheaten will be pure . You will still have type and Ameraucana traits but the color will be non standard .

Back
Top Bottom