Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I thought I would wait until they were filled out more. Maybe another month or so. Surely I will know by then if I have a black cockerel, not three hens. I am not complaining about my pullet to cockerel ratio, I just wanted one black cockerel. I do have three beautiful splash hens, a beautiful wheaten hen...not sure if she is blue, wheaten or splash wheaten at this point. I have a pretty lavender pullet and two pretty blue ones. I really have no reason to be pining for one I do not have.

I also had thought they would be crowing by now. They are 16 weeks. Maybe by 20, I will hear something.

I find that they crow pretty much on average around ~5 months. I think it really depends on other cockerels/cock birds in the same pen and if the bird is less dominant. If he is, he usually stays pretty quiet!

Last edited:
Out of my 15 P. Smith chicks, I have 5 definite males.  I am still questioning one black one, but I am afraid it will be a hen.  I really needed a black cockerel, but instead I have 3 blues, 1 blue wheaten and 1 lavender.  I am happy with all of them, but, I did not need the 3 blues.  As they get older, I will be asking opinions of the blues so I can decide which cockerel to keep.  They are 16 weeks and no one is crowing yet.

Well, if you lived closer to me, I would sure sell you a black one. I have two sixteen week olds and three roosters. Likely going to grow out one promising black to show later this fall. I'm going to have to cut at least two of my older ones. I also have some sixteen week old blues. Once again, I think I am going to grow out a couple for possible show. The rest are in need of a new home. Any takers here??? Maybe we can compare pictures of our blues. :D

I have wanted a black hen so bad. Never had one. I either hatch no blacks or they all turn out to be males. Even the ones other people pick out to send to me I can get just one Pullet.

Just hope for a hen-I always gets rooster when I do that!

I have been wanting wheaten/blue wheaten pullets! Twice I have hatched shipped eggs and twice I have ended up with one female and four males out of the hatches. :( It's not easy trying to establish a variety.

I also had thought they would be crowing by now.  They are 16 weeks.  Maybe by 20, I will hear something.

Mine are 16 also and I haven't heard a peep. Of course, I'm not out early in the morning and that is when you will usually hear something. Anyway, I am pretty sure I have all my sexes figured out now. At sixteen weeks, they should be showing some saddle feathers, but you may have to look for them. I have one black 12 week old that looking at it's comb you would swear it is female because it is non existant. However, it is showing saddle feathers.

My two for sure boys are not what I wanted a barred rock and copper maran. Both started crowing about three weeks ago and at night. They crow during the day some too now.

Trying to find out what type of Americaunas these r. Having trouble adding all the pics at once

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom