Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

It really sounds like you have Easter Eggers and not Ameracaunas. There are sooo many people out there who sell EE's as AM's, some knowingly, and many unknowingly. You should post some pictures. There are many people in this thread who could tell you right away with good pictures. 99.9% of the time they're Easter Eggers. I've bought many. Luckily, I did not breed and sell them as Ameracaunas. EE's are great birds though, just need to know what you've got if you're going to breed.

If you want to find some true Ameracaunas (not that yours are not, I don't know) this website has a breeders directory along with the pictures and descriptions of the different varieties. You are much more likely to get true, quality AM's from someone on this list.
http://www.ameraucana.org/
Hopefully this works, I am trying to post pics.

The girl on the right is my red layer. The two on the left are the ones in question. They recently had an encounter with a feral dog pack, so their tail feathers are missing, but they survived without any other injuries.

The girl on the right is my red layer. The two on the left are the ones in question. They recently had an encounter with a feral dog pack, so their tail feathers are missing, but they survived without any other injuries.
Looks like you have a pair of Easter Eggers. There are some B/B/S Ameraucana hatching eggs I saw for sale in the buy/sell/trade section of BYC. Unfortunately, most ebay sellers are also selling just Easter Egger eggs labeled as Americauna which is a hint that they are not the actual breed.

I agree, Easter Eggers. They usually contain some Ameracauna, but they're not pure. Ameracauna breeders adhere to very strict color guidelines. If the color is off, even if it's because of mixing 2 pure Ameracauna varieties, it's still considered an Easter Egger. If you would like pure breeds, I would recommend the Ameracauna.org breeders directory. Hatcheries and feed stores don't sell them even though they advertise that they do. Sometimes they're kind enough to throw an "i" in the name. Sometimes. Ask questions like what variety are they, and what line did they come from. Pictures help too. Or, if you like your Easter Eggers, breed Easter Eggers! They're great birds. They often lay blue eggs. Sometimes green and pink too.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I found a breeder on BYC buy sell trade section who is only a couple of hours away from me and he is also on the ABC directory of breeders. I love my chickens and it is nice to know that they are EE's so that I don't sell them as Ameraucanas. I will just play with them to see what I can get and then start a new line with some purebreds. I am so glad that I found this site and became a member.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I found a breeder on BYC buy sell trade section who is only a couple of hours away from me and he is also on the ABC directory of breeders. I love my chickens and it is nice to know that they are EE's so that I don't sell them as Ameraucanas. I will just play with them to see what I can get and then start a new line with some purebreds. I am so glad that I found this site and became a member.
Me too! it's a great site. Pretty much anything you ever wanted to know about chickens...and then some.

I bought my Easter Eggers thinking they were Ameraucanas (as they were advertised). It was a little disappointing finding out that they weren't pure Ameraucanas, at first. But it didn't last long. They've grown into beautiful pullets with very sweet and affectionate personalities. Four months old now... and I'm looking forward to my first eggs!
love.gif

I will slowly be integrating in pure Wheaten and Blue Wheaten Ameraucana pullets in the future. My long-term goal is to have a flock of pure Ameraucana...now that I have done oodles of research and wont be as easily fooled!

My two pure Wheaten and Blue Wheaten cockerels arrive tomorrow! Of course, any offspring from my hens will still be Easter Eggers, until eventually I have more purebred hens. :)

Last edited:
Okay so here is my Am...her name is Shelly (original) and she desperately needs a nice blue cockerel or cock. She is my lone am. Seems no one in Indiana has them. Drat. Thinking about showing Shelly in the spring. I'm not knowledgeable but figure it can't hurt.

Okay so here is my Am...her name is Shelly (original) and she desperately needs a nice blue cockerel or cock. She is my lone am. Seems no one in Indiana has them. Drat. Thinking about showing Shelly in the spring. I'm not knowledgeable but figure it can't hurt.
She's pretty. Check this breeders directory for breeders near you. I see one in Indiana and several in Ohio. http://ameraucana.org/docs/breedersdirectory.pdf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom