Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

What will happen? I took genetics in college but never learned about chicken colors lol
Lavender is a recessive gene and the BBS gene is a dominant gene. Lavender requires two copies of the gene to express. A single copy will result in black birds that carry a Lavender gene. It's no so much a problem with first generation, but it following generations it will be impossible to tell which birds have which genes. The dominant Blue/Splash will override the Lavender color. You could end up with birds that are both Blue or Splash and Lavender. But you won't be able to tell that they are Lavender. You won't be able to tell which chicks are Lavender and which are Splash.
Best just to keep the colors separate.

Lavender is a recessive gene and the BBS gene is a dominant gene. Lavender requires two copies of the gene to express. A single copy will result in black birds that carry a Lavender gene. It's no so much a problem with first generation, but it following generations it will be impossible to tell which birds have which genes. The dominant Blue/Splash will override the Lavender color. You could end up with birds that are both Blue or Splash and Lavender. But you won't be able to tell that they are Lavender. You won't be able to tell which chicks are Lavender and which are Splash. 
Best just to keep the colors separate.

Yeah, what she said. Haha

I've a question about egg color. I ordered Ameraucana eggs in the summer. They came and were the color of B4/B6 according to the chart.
Now they have begun to lay and the egg colors are C12/D6.
These are supposed to be real Ameraucana's I got from someone in the Ameraucana Club. I don't understand why the layers would be throwing off eggs closer to green in color than blue =(. Is this normal for new layers? I'm kind of guessing it isn't.
All the Ameraucana are in the same chicken house no other birds mixed in ever.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you.

I've a question about egg color. I ordered Ameraucana eggs in the summer. They came and were the color of B4/B6 according to the chart.
Now they have begun to lay and the egg colors are C12/D6.
These are supposed to be real Ameraucana's I got from someone in the Ameraucana Club. I don't understand why the layers would be throwing off eggs closer to green in color than blue =(. Is this normal for new layers? I'm kind of guessing it isn't.
All the Ameraucana are in the same chicken house no other birds mixed in ever.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you.

The show breeder I got my Blue Wheaten Ameraucana from apologized that her BW's layed blue but very pale blue so I wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised to find this color blue. Of course our girl turned out to be a sucky layer and only gave us 3 eggs her 2nd year. Apparently these are not production-type birds.

Ameraucanas can lay anything from a nearly white, very pale blue egg to a green egg.

Each of the 8 accepted varieties of Ameraucanas are in different stages of development, with black being the most stable. With the other varieties, many breeders have chosen, in my opinion correctly, to focus first on type, as egg color is not as difficult to "fix" later.

My wheatens/blue wheatens lay anywhere from a very pale blue to a very nice blue to a green egg. I know which hen is laying which color, so I also know what that hen brings to the table, as far as positive traits, so I can weigh the pros and cons of whether to hatch eggs from her or not.

Ameraucanas can lay anything from a nearly white, very pale blue egg to a green egg.

Each of the 8 accepted varieties of Ameraucanas are in different stages of development, with black being the most stable. With the other varieties, many breeders have chosen, in my opinion correctly, to focus first on type, as egg color is not as difficult to "fix" later.

My wheatens/blue wheatens lay anywhere from a very pale blue to a very nice blue to a green egg. I know which hen is laying which color, so I also know what that hen brings to the table, as far as positive traits, so I can weigh the pros and cons of whether to hatch eggs from her or not.

Thanks, samouw. I had a horrible experience buying BCM before I knew what breeder quality birds were. I would much rather start with the birds I got from Paul, then worry about the fine details, than start with birds as faulty as my BCM flock was

Thanks, so it's possible that a pure AM hen could lay a white egg? Two of them are laying the 50% color of that chart. Now I need one to get the other 25 :D
 Great, not even a month into laying and I'm already having to learn about genetics :gig
Well, shes still pretty! but I'm sure your disappointed! go figure!! so r u gonna breed her?? would her offspring throw blue? Instead of culling her? Maby breed her and see what her babies throw....? I could be very wrong and the breeders on here would know 4 sure....maby she could be your experiment!
Hey 2 roosters in your fire? were u burning them or like slow smoking them!? seriously! lol! what will I ever do if the lights go out? I can see my family begging 4 food and me saying lets go hunt pheasants, and honey my hens need something to eat!! lol! They are my pets! lol!

I asked Paul Smith the same question about egg color and he said they get bluer the more regular they get in laying. In my experience is this is very true. Mine started out at D12 and went to B1/B2.

Thanks, samouw. I had a horrible experience buying BCM before I knew what breeder quality birds were. I would much rather start with the birds I got from Paul, then worry about the fine details, than start with birds as faulty as my BCM flock was
for sure! I think once a breeder has quality animals, even as pets it's hard to go out and get the hinze 57 variety! Cause if nothing else u have to look at them every day! lol!

Back
Top Bottom