Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Um, I am of the opinion that if the animal can not self reproduce maybe it shouldn't exist. Like when I worked at the veterinarian and all the bulldogs had to be born by C section because they had been bred for huge shoulders and narrow hips. Were it not for medical intervention, those breeds would cease to exist in 1 generation.

I think if one is breeding rumpless birds they would cull those that couldn't breed.

This is exactly why the Ameraucana was created . We felt lethal genes and poor fertility from rumpless was not what we wanted .
I agree 100%

I have a cousin who breeds dwarf bunnies (Dw/dw) and she often breeds dwarf to dwarf which yeilds bunnies refered to as peanuts (dw/dw) they always die. the double dose of the dwaerf gene is fatal. I don't get why she does it. Or people who breed dogs that will invariably produce blind/deaf puppies in the hopes of getting a non blind/deaf double dapple/merle dogs.

I agree on not breeding animals for human vanity. While we do breed for human utility, there is no utility in these "ornamental" monstrosities. I got a new color EE chick in this hatch, and when the next batch hatches I will look for more of that color. Once I have a few, I will breed them together and hopefully get more. Then I can start refining. That is how all breeds came about. Will mine be a breed? Nope, just Easter Eggers. But they will have a type that they can breed true to by simply not propagating those with undesirable characteristics. I've already done this with my columbian pattern EEs, and with my feather footed EEs. This will be a chocolate EE project.
That is an adorable little chick. Is that from Ravyn?

My first Ameraucana!!!!!!!!!!! Came from silkied and split parents, let's hope it's silkied!!!!!!

That is Awsome!!!!
celebrate.gif
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom