Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I GOT MY BABIES!!! I GOT MY BABIES!!! They're BEAUTIFUL! I'm so pleased with them. The wonderful people who were selling them had some really nice breeding stock. Their blue wheaten and wheaten roos were GORGEOUS!! I can't wait to see how my "girls" (hopefully, lol, got them straight run) turn out! Their parents are Paul Smith stock, so I'm hoping they'll turn out really nice. Here's some pics:

The little medium blue girl, who I believe will be named Vera (or Blueberry, if my daughter gets her way), she's 2 days old:

Here's the light blue (or splash? Opinions on that would be great! I thought she looked a little TOO light to be a blue, but I was having trouble telling the difference. Does she look blue or splash to you?) Her name will probably be Midge, and she's also 2 days old:

And last but definitely not least, my pretty blue wheaten, Rowena, who is (I believe) 2-3 weeks old. I love how much blue she has!

All 3 checking out the buffet:

I'm so excited! Can't wait to get my lovely blue eggs!! Any comments, critiques are welcome!
Pretty babies, but I am wondering if Rowena is not a he. The light blue one,I am not sure. My blue wheatens were the ones with the light colored legs. Did they have lavenders? Is it possible it is mixed? Other people on here know a lot more than I do, so I am sure you will get some answers.

Pretty babies, but I am wondering if Rowena is not a he. The light blue one,I am not sure. My blue wheatens were the ones with the light colored legs. Did they have lavenders? Is it possible it is mixed? Other people on here know a lot more than I do, so I am sure you will get some answers.

Here is a picture of my light blues. Their parents were P&A Smith babies

And a question for Pips&Peeps or anyone else for that matter. Do you still think this is a white, or possible splash. I am hoping white.

Here, you can see the difference in my blues, light blues and blacks.

This is the first time I have used shavings in my brooder box(literally) and probably the last time. Shavings get in the food and water constantly. Their water dish was cleaned less than an hour ago, and it is already polluted with shavings. They are almost two weeks old and will be going in their coop on the front porch. I did my tail/no tails check and I predict 3 boys and 9 girls. The little yellow one has me guessing just a little, but I want it to be a girl so that's where I put her.

Abe, our rescue rooster. I know the girls are Rhode Island Reds but Abe has something else mixed in, Ameraucana? maybe? Abe is his name, well, because of his beard of course. His former people called him Red and he was beat up daily. He is so sweet, not like our last one who had me trapped on the porch all the time....well, not any more. I love Abe...

So, any guesses if he has Ameraucana mixed in?

The first morning at our place, he started back to his former home, I ran down the driveway and lured him back to our place with food. He ate non-stop for about 15 minutes, I was really beginning to worry that he would eat too much. I don't think he got to eat before, the other birds just wouldn't let him and he couldn't sleep in the coop but was sleeping in a dog shelter. So, the first night, he went into the coop an hour before the girls went, I think to make sure he had a place and it was HIS. He now feels confident enough to stay out late with the girls.

He has some issues walking and with balance but he had put on a bunch of weight in the last 2-3 weeks and looks so much better. Ideas please...Kate

First egg arrived on Easter!! I can't believe it!!!!
Me too!

Abe, our rescue rooster. I know the girls are Rhode Island Reds but Abe has something else mixed in, Ameraucana? maybe? Abe is his name, well, because of his beard of course. His former people called him Red and he was beat up daily. He is so sweet, not like our last one who had me trapped on the porch all the time....well, not any more. I love Abe...

The first morning at our place, he started back to his former home, I ran down the driveway and lured him back to our place with food. He ate non-stop for about 15 minutes, I was really beginning to worry that he would eat too much. I don't think he got to eat before, the other birds just wouldn't let him and he couldn't sleep in the coop but was sleeping in a dog shelter. So, the first night, he went into the coop an hour before the girls went, I think to make sure he had a place and it was HIS. He now feels confident enough to stay out late with the girls.

He has some issues walking and with balance but he had put on a bunch of weight in the last 2-3 weeks and looks so much better. Ideas please...Kate

He is an easter egger.

Here is a picture of my light blues. Their parents were P&A Smith babies

And a question for Pips&Peeps or anyone else for that matter. Do you still think this is a white, or possible splash. I am hoping white.

Here is a picture of what I'm guessing is a splash at around that age.

Last edited:

It's very possible there is Ameraucana in Abe's background, but because his coloring doesn't conform to the (very strict) standard of perfection for Ameraucanas, he is considered an Easter Egger. Ameraucanas, I believe, are the only breed out there that have the beard and muffs. But Ameraucanas also have slate or black legs and white skin. To see some pictures of the standards, check out this gallery:
http://www.ameraucana.org/gallery.html

Back
Top Bottom