Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I have been enjoying this thread and all the pictures. It's been awhile since I've posted. Been busy with work, kids, farm life.. good thing I have a couple pens of "stress relievers". Love my ameraucanas! It's funny, I raised the Am's right along with a batch of BlRW's and they're still together.. the Am will fly right up into my lap and want to be loved on while the BLRW are more stand-offish.. they have completely won me over. My birds came from mstrawn and peachick. I keep thinking about narrowing down the breeds I own so I can have more varieties of them Am's, not just the Wheaten/Blue Wheatens.
Does anyone else find their Am's to be the friendliest in the flock?

I just love how the young cockerels look so colorful. My wheaten boy, Garfunkel, is starting to get darker feathering in his beard, but he's still in that colorful stage. He's my only true Ameraucana at the moment, but that will change this weekend! I'll be taking home a gorgeous group of blacks (and maybe a wheaten/blue wheaten pullet to go with Garfunkel) out of Susan Mouw's line. I can't wait!!

an interesting tidbit of info - I learned from the lovely people here on this forum that crossing Ameraucana varieties creates chicks that are not a standard color, therefore they are technically Easter Eggers. So, crossing a black and a wheaten (for example) will not produce true Ameraucana chicks.

blue, black and splash can be bred together... black = no gene for blue... blue = one gene for blue... splash = 2 genes for blue.

Don't mean to ramble... I haven't had my coffee yet LOL

Can anyone help me identify his one month old chick. I believe she is a Ameraucana.

Last edited:
Gosh!
1f62d.png
Talk about major disappointment. Two of my three roos that were looking gorgeous, have popped up with leakage on their hackles. One is black and the other is blue. I have one blue roo left to see if he has it too. The have gold coloring coming out overnight!

I have extra Roo's, blue and black if you need/want a different one. I think mine are a few weeks younger, but close enough in age. Let me know if you want pics or want to ride by and look

Yes, love the color they have at this stage..especially the blue wheatens..

He's so beautiful... but can someone confirm that he's conforming to the standard as far as color goes?

Last edited:
Oh they're pretty! I don't know a lot about the SOP but I think the top one would be a better choice. I would pick him anyway. Hopefully someone with more experience can tell you more.

Thanks! I appreciate it. Sometimes it's so hard to pick from you own birds when you see them every day. I appreciate the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom