Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Hey everyone! I have a quick question for all of you. I'm a little concerned about my wheaten boy's fertility. I've only seen a couple fertile eggs from him and he's 10 months old now. Is it common for ameraucanas to have low fertility, or is it the limited daylight we're still experiencing? I want to hatch out some babies SOON, but he's my only wheaten male at the moment, so I need him and he's just not getting the job done so far. Anyone else having this problem or know what might be the cause?

Hey everyone! I have a quick question for all of you. I'm a little concerned about my wheaten boy's fertility. I've only seen a couple fertile eggs from him and he's 10 months old now. Is it common for ameraucanas to have low fertility, or is it the limited daylight we're still experiencing? I want to hatch out some babies SOON, but he's my only wheaten male at the moment, so I need him and he's just not getting the job done so far. Anyone else having this problem or know what might be the cause?

Now I don't know how true it is, but some have said cold temps could affect fertility. He may need another month to perfect his technique too. With cockerels it can be a learning process. Other problems could be too much fluff in the vent area of both male and female, so you can thin that area to eliminate that. One last thing you might give a try is some vit/mineral supplement for him. I would try the Rooster Booter Poultry Cell formula.

So many things could be contributing. Short days can have an effect on male fertility, just like it affects a female's ability to produce eggs. Could be nutritional. Could be that he is still having trouble getting things lined up. Could be that he just lacks confidence to breed the more dominant girls.

Ok, thanks, you guys! I had my suspicions that he was having confidence issues, especially with my head hen, who is terrifying, lol. I've seen him mount them several times and it looks like he's lining everything up fairly well, and I did trim him around his vent a week or two ago, because he seemed to be getting a bit too fluffy, but the girls look fine so I left theirs. There is one girl in particular that he gives most of his attention to, so I really expected to have quite a few fertile eggs from her, but she's only had a couple fertile ones so far and the others haven't had any. It's definitely not a nutritional thing, because I've been supplementing with foods that are high in all the necessary vitamins, namely calcium and vitamin d, but there's several others I've been focusing on. I'm pretty sure it's mostly the daylight issue, so hopefully his fertility will be increasing soon. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it for a bit. Thanks for the advice, though!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom