Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

A friend of mine in Franklin just got it a couple of weeks ago.

Ugh, I'm sorry... and way too close for comfort...

I haven't heard that. I usually vaccinate about 4-6 months old and before show season.

Good deal, I wasn't sure... just know some vaccines are only effective at hatch so wanted to ask... thanks... :D ;)

Might need to look into that... I take it that it's not effective for adults though, or??
Opposite here... great topsoil but directly under it is a huge layer of clay and then limestone under that... but I do have ducks, lol...
Most of mine are slow molters... but this last season has been wacky with the constant climate changes... I think it threw theit whole molting period out of sync...

Ok, the weather bouncing could explain the weird molt, too. I'm really pleased with what I'm seeing so far, though!

Are you serious about the Pox! Geez, I just started Marek's vaccination. At least the Pox vax is cheaper.
:barnie

Ok, the weather bouncing could explain the weird molt, too. I'm really pleased with what I'm seeing so far, though!

Are you serious about the Pox! Geez, I just started Marek's vaccination. At least the Pox vax is cheaper.
barnie.gif

I only vaccinate those that will be shown. I've seen birds at shows with evidence of dry pox, and while that's not too serious - I just don't want to take a chance.

:barnie

If it's not spreading closer to you, I wouldn't worry too much...

I only vaccinate those that will be shown.  I've seen birds at shows with evidence of dry pox, and while that's not too serious - I just don't want to take a chance.

Unless you show, then yeah I wouldn't take the chance either... I saw some disturbing things for sure... :/

I can email our State Vet and find out what's being reported to them.

Yeah, Julie will know - if it is being reported. Dry pox is not that big a deal - it runs its course, is not transferable through eggs to chicks, and once they have it - they don't ever get it again. Unless you show, because it can really mess up a comb and it has to be painful for the bird.

Wet pox, on the other hand, is much more serious and I just don't like taking the chance.

Yeah, Julie will know - if it is being reported.  Dry pox is not that big a deal - it runs its course, is not transferable through eggs to chicks, and once they have it - they don't ever get it again.  Unless you show, because it can really mess up a comb and it has to be painful for the bird.

Wet pox, on the other hand, is much more serious and I just don't like taking the chance.

I hadn't thought about it much since it's categorized as uncommon. I was going to bring a cock to Edgefield show but he's one of the slow molters. Are you going to Newnan?

I hadn't thought about it much since it's categorized as uncommon. I was going to bring a cock to Edgefield show but he's one of the slow molters. Are you going to Newnan?

I have gone back and forth on Newnan, but finally circumstances made my decision for me. I won't be at Newnan, but I will be at Edgefield.

Might need to look into that... I take it that it's not effective for adults though, or??
Opposite here... great topsoil but directly under it is a huge layer of clay and then limestone under that... but I do have ducks, lol...
Most of mine are slow molters... but this last season has been wacky with the constant climate changes... I think it threw theit whole molting period out of sync...

I have always heard regarding Fowl Pox, if you don't have it in your area, don't introduce it with the vaccine. I think I read that right on the paper that came with it. So, I didn't use it. If I have it here it must be a very mild dry type form, because I haven't seen much of anything over the years. I decided not to risk bringing the wet form here with the vaccine and having to vaccinate every year thereafter.
The thing with fowl pox is if you see it in a bird, you isolate it and then can stop the spread by vaccinating the rest immediately. So, might be a good idea to keep the vaccine on hand.

Back
Top Bottom