Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Two cockerels, brothers, five months.
I know it's too early for a full evaluation, but I'm wondering if there is any chance whatsoever that either of these two will be suitable to breed with my three blacks, or should I not even think about using them with the blacks because they are blue? I'm only asking so I'll know if I should look into getting a different male.
My black cockerel is related to the three pullets. Even though he is gorgeous I don't think I should use him with them. The pullets (and blk cockerel) are Smith/Smith, Smith/Redden, or Redden/Redden.

#1 - light color, nice edging, some leakage.

-------------------------------------------------

#2 - darker color, less pronounced edging than his brother, no leakage

@Chicken5555 , you should never use a bird with leakage if you can absolutely avoid it. These things do not just go away, they lurk in your line and then can reappear years after you thought you had rid your flock of the fault. Considering the other bird is brother to the one that is leaking color, I would not use either for breeding. Odds are he is carrying whatever color fault his brother has. I would use the Black you have before either of the Blues.

Last edited:
@Chicken5555 , you should never use a bird with leakage if you can absolutely avoid it. These things do not just go away, they lurk in your line and then can reappear years after you thought you had rid your flock of the fault. Considering the other bird is brother to the one that is leaking color, I would not use either for breeding. Odds are he is carrying whatever color fault his brother has. I would use the Black you have before either of the Blues.

Thank you for your reply. Looks like I'll be looking for another rooster.

edit to add...
If I decide to rehome the two males, should a call them pet quality Ameraucanas or easter eggers?

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. Looks like I'll be looking for another rooster.

edit to add...
If I decide to rehome the two males, should a call them pet quality Ameraucanas or easter eggers?
I agree with Jeremy. With no noticeable lacing they are not show quality or breed quality. With the leakage I would go with Easter Eggers when selling them.

Check with Max Strawn, from TX, for LF blue Ameraucanas. http://ameraucanaalliance.org/DnLd/Directory.pdf

Quote: http://fowlstuff.com/FFAQ.html#five

So, I never got any opinions on the blue cockerel I posted. He's 7 months old. I really would like to know any faults he has, because I'm still not very good at spotting them...

I can get a better pic of his comb if you need it.
ETA: I forgot to say he's from Paul Smith lines.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom