Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

So, I never got any opinions on the blue cockerel I posted. He's 7 months old. I really would like to know any faults he has, because I'm still not very good at spotting them...

I can get a better pic of his comb if you nee

d it.
ETA: I forgot to say he's from Paul Smith lines.

I like his back line and muffs. I'd like to see a fuller tail, it looks like he has somewhat loose feathering, but he has nice lines, his comb is on the larger side but not too bad, he's a little on the light side but Im not seeing anything glaringly obvious. I'd watch his comb as it may get bigger and hope his tail fills out.

He's a pretty boy though, blue roosters are hard and he's a good start.

So, I never got any opinions on the blue cockerel I posted. He's 7 months old. I really would like to know any faults he has, because I'm still not very good at spotting them...

I can get a better pic of his comb if you need it.
ETA: I forgot to say he's from Paul Smith lines.

Two cockerels, brothers, five months.
I know it's too early for a full evaluation, but I'm wondering if there is any chance whatsoever that either of these two will be suitable to breed with my three blacks, or should I not even think about using them with the blacks because they are blue? I'm only asking so I'll know if I should look into getting a different male.
My black cockerel is related to the three pullets. Even though he is gorgeous I don't think I should use him with them. The pullets (and blk cockerel) are Smith/Smith, Smith/Redden, or Redden/Redden.

#1 - light color, nice edging, some leakage.

-------------------------------------------------

#2 - darker color, less pronounced edging than his brother, no leakage

Are the brothers from the same mother? Or the same father? Did the father have leakage? If cock was fine and #1 and #2 are from different hens, I think you can use #2 safely. Most leakage issues arise from the females which do not show it, but pass to the offspring. The female offspring won't show it, but the males will. So, I think #2 would be safe to use, imo, especially if your cock was clean also.

@MrsBachbach
Thank you for your reply. These two cockerels were purchased as hatching eggs. The lighter of the two came from an egg with a slight green hue and #2 came from a bluer egg. So to answer your question, same father different mothers. The breeder sent a picture of the Cock and hens that these birds came from, and I did not see any leakage on any of them. But I wouldn't see it on the hens though, would I. The Cock was blue and the hens were black and various shades of blue. I may do a test hatch between #2 and my black Ameraucanas this Fall just to see if I get any leaky offspring.

If I decide to do the test cross and there are no leaky offspring, could I then breed my black male with the offspring from the test cross the following year? The black male would be uncle to the offspring of the test cross.

@MrsBachbach
Thank you for your reply. These two cockerels were purchased as hatching eggs. The lighter of the two came from an egg with a slight green hue and #2 came from a bluer egg. So to answer your question, same father different mothers. The breeder sent a picture of the Cock and hens that these birds came from, and I did not see any leakage on any of them. But I wouldn't see it on the hens though, would I. The Cock was blue and the hens were black and various shades of blue. I may do a test hatch between #2 and my black Ameraucanas this Fall just to see if I get any leaky offspring.

If I decide to do the test cross and there are no leaky offspring, could I then breed my black male with the offspring from the test cross the following year? The black male would be uncle to the offspring of the test cross.

That should be no problem. Have you grown out any males from those black females you are planning on breeding to the blue male? Or is this their first mate? I ask because if you do get any leaky males from the cross, it is likely from the females. Remember females don't show the tendency, males do. So, if the male is clean, it is likely the female.

You might consider breeding any blue females back to their father and blacks to your black.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, it's been a long time since Ive posted. So much has happened this last year.
Hope your all doing good, I miss you my friends! You know who you are
1f49b.png

My Ameraucanas are doing great, I've only lost one bird this past year, my nicest black hen, she had sour crop. Using the one second rule, I tried to empty her crop by turning her head /body down. Third time, she aspirated and died within seconds. She was my nicest black hen. I didn't catch it in time so I think I would have lost her anyway, she was looking pretty tough..several days before Christmas
1f614.png
I still have 5 roosters, four are still living together and get along great, they will be a year old March 7. I can handle all of them, very easily except for one who doesn't like being caught. They will sit on my arm, and love to be snuggled with literally. I'm so pleased with them. All of my hard work and handling has really paid off on the boys, their gentle giants.
I'm about to sell my black, King, his comb is HUGE....and my spare wheaten, Luke.

Snuggle Bug, my favorite boy, is gorgeous and he's a wheaten, John Wayne is dark blue, he's beautiful as well. Bo, my blue wheaten, is too. These are going to be my breeders. Their as gentle as my hens, I can do anything with them.
I get to buy an incubator out of part of out tax return!! The Brinsea 20, with all the bells and whistles! I'm so excited, I can hardly wait! Coops are deep cleaned and just finished worming everyone. I will try to post a few pics.

Quote:

The blacks hatched in April last year have not been bred to any Ameraucana males yet so I do not know if they carry leakage. They are from Susan's blacks so if there is any leakage from them I'd be shocked. I know, not impossible. I'll to a test cross when the cockerel when he is a little older and I'll grow out some males to check for leakage. If all goes well, I'll go ahead and breed the black daughters to their uncle. Thank you so much for your input.

Well, Hi Stranger! :)

Your birds are looking very nice! Are you planning on getting them out to some shows this year?

Hey Susan
1f60a.png
how r u doing? Well, truthfully probably not. BUT...if I could I'd take Eve, my blue wheaten, she's just beautiful, zero leakage, and Snuggle Bug my wheaten, Bo, my blue wheaten also has very clean hackles with no leakage! They would be the the ones.
My dark blue John Wayne I don't think I pictured, maybe I'll try and post a few more pics later, closer ones. He's not as big as my others though.
I saw Ravyn's black from you, he's just gorgeous....
1f60d.png
1f60d.png
1f60d.png

I'm going to breed Eve and Bo the two blue wheatens, and my two wheatens together. JW gets my two blues and my surviving black hen. My hen that I aspirated was my nicest black, she was really pretty and good sized.
Best part? I get to buy the Brinsea next week!! I'm gonna have babies!!
But I've only wormed my AMs with Wazine, still need to get them wormed with Valbazan!
Then, it's on!!!
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom