Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
I didn't breed these. Mr. Woodiel, an ABC member, did. He has not divulged the recipe to me. There were some clean faced chicks if that says anything. I can say that most of the eggs were a nice blue and larger than your average Ameraucana. A plus in my book. He has used some Smith stock for the Ameraucana side of things.

The peepers block vision directly ahead. They eat and drink just fine. They insert in but not through the nostrils. These are a staple for some Cochin breeders whose birds are very slow to feather. I have been able to remove them in the Cochins once they are feathered in.

Thanks!

Quote:
I didn't breed these. Mr. Woodiel, an ABC member, did. He has not divulged the recipe to me. There were some clean faced chicks if that says anything. I can say that most of the eggs were a nice blue and larger than your average Ameraucana. A plus in my book. He has used some Smith stock for the Ameraucana side of things.

The peepers block vision directly ahead. They eat and drink just fine. They insert in but not through the nostrils. These are a staple for some Cochin breeders whose birds are very slow to feather. I have been able to remove them in the Cochins once they are feathered in.

Well, the size certainly is a plus! Do you know how long he's been working on them? They're very pretty. I've always looked forward to seeing some nice mottled Ameraucanas in the future. I don't know about blue mottled, but straight good mottling is very pretty IMO.

Are you doing the peepers to prevent beard plucking, or is it because they're housed in a small area?

There are threads on the ABC forum about when Mr. Woodiel and Ms. Konold started this project.

They have plenty of space, though the they all crowd in a corner for photos.
roll.png
Most of the picking is in the tail region. Only my Ameraucanas seem to do this as older juvies. It would probably help if I separated boys from girls. This is my first try with the peepers with the Ameraucanas. I haven't decided what I think yet.

By chance has anyone heard from Birch Run Farm? I know she doesn't pop in very often but they just had a farmer in Vermont on the news that lost a lot of birds in the flkooding. Hope she's OK over there with all those lovely wheatens.

Quote:
I know this isn't breed standard coloring, but I LOVE it! She's gorgeous!
love.gif

She looks like a pullet I got in some golden cuckoo marans eggs. Mine looks mroe like a rhodebar now that she's gotten bigger. Different!

28521_100_4272.jpg

Quote:
Dak,

Where'd you get the peeps. I bought some for mine and they seem too small. They are blue, if that is an indicator of size. Got them from National Band.

Or, am I just peep impaired and need more time to figure them out.
he.gif

pips&peeps :

Quote:
Dak,

Where'd you get the peeps. I bought some for mine and they seem too small. They are blue, if that is an indicator of size. Got them from National Band.

Or, am I just peep impaired and need more time to figure them out.
he.gif

I believe I got them from Culter's. There was only one size/color. They worked fine on the Cochins and Ameraucanas.
http://www.cutlersupply.com/

Back
Top Bottom