Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Wow, that could explain it
I might not be crazy after all!
I will post a pic as soon as I get them out of the hatcher
thanks for the info, much appreciated

Quote:

wink.png

Here's John's quoted post:

I know some were kind of fearful that some strains of blacks could carry the lavender gene. From my last two hatches I've found that mine do, because I got a few lavender chicks from them. Although I toe punched the chicks last year, I guess some didn't get punched well enough. Anyway I know that one hen and the cock carry lavender and if you got black chicks from me this year chances are about 1/4 of them carry the lavender gene.
I don't see it as a problem, but I know some may.

Last edited:
yes, a dark blue or splits to lav on both
I got these as hatching eggs, do not own the parents
will pass all this on
thanks

yes, a dark blue or splits to lav on both
I got these as hatching eggs, do not own the parents
will pass all this on
thanks

Lav splits do not hatch an intermediate color. If they are split to Black they will be Black with perhaps some leakage as adults. If there is Blue in the mix, they will be Blue. Even a Splash bird could carry the Lav gene recessively, but until lately it has been frowned upon to mix Lav into the mix with Blue. Now that John Blehm has announced that the Lav gene has been introduced into his Blacks, I don't think it will be as unheard of. I am concerned though that some of the issues that are still found in Lavs will get introduced into Black flocks that were relatively free of them.
hmm.png

Hi there!
Been lurking for a while and decided to sign up. I tried to do a search but can't figure this out. Does anybody know the genes for ameraucanas? I am trying to understand the genes but am not quite sure. I have blue/wheaten, splash, and black ameraucanas. Your help would be appreciated!
joe

Hi there!
Been lurking for a while and decided to sign up. I tried to do a search but can't figure this out. Does anybody know the genes for ameraucanas? I am trying to understand the genes but am not quite sure. I have blue/wheaten, splash, and black ameraucanas. Your help would be appreciated!
joe

I will take a stab...
wheatens are EWh (wheaten), MbMb(beard), OO (blue egg ), PP (pea comb), if it is a blue wheaten then add Bl/bl+. For splash Bl/Bl.

Black ameraucana is most likely E/E , Mb/Mb, OO, PP

Does that help?

Yes, I agree
Parents are not my birds
They are Blehm stock, bought as all black
but I can not see them
it's ok, they will go into the layer flock and have a good life whatever they are
I just thought I was nuts to be seeing odd colors from black birds
knowing they might throw lavendar helped
though as you can see there are what looks like blue and the odd ball chick with the spot
so not going to be breeding stock for me is all
thanks for your help all

I think the chicks look a little off, especially the ones with the weird whiteish spots on their backs. You should get some close ups of the weird colored ones.

Back
Top Bottom