Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Definitely a girl. I only see one row of peas from this angle. Congrats.
Really?? There is just 1 row but the redness already at 9 wks really threw me. I've been mourning the 'loss' of one of my pullets thinking it was a boy all week long
lol.png
. Now it feels like I just had another girl hatch haha!

I am new to all this as well but have had two roos and a few girls and I think hen as well.

The chick pic is SO cute. I have eggs due to hatch this weekend for the first time and I am just a bit silly (inwardly) about what to do. I might just boil water and get towels so I have SOMETHING to do.

If you had to call this a boy or a girl, what would you call it? It's a 9 week old Lavender and I've stressed to this bird time and again that it's gender is GIRL, there's another who has no bump whatsoever and no redness that I'm sure is a girl, then there's one with an obvious comb. This one is confusing me a bit and I think it might be boy?

That is really red for only 9 weeks...I can see why you would be stumped!

I am new to all this as well but have had two roos and a few girls and I think hen as well.

The chick pic is SO cute. I have eggs due to hatch this weekend for the first time and I am just a bit silly (inwardly) about what to do. I might just boil water and get towels so I have SOMETHING to do.

Best thing you can do is absolutely nothing! And it's the hardest thing too, just to sit and watch!!! Good luck with your hatch. Keep us posted. We like pictures here!!
pop.gif

I sure hope you're right, I had it pegged for a boy!
Any other expert opinions??
Well, I had a nice hatch of blacks during Hurricane Irene. I named the largest one Irene. She happily clucked around the place until one day she just put on 2 pounds, grew spurs, and began to crow. I was happy to have him. His name is now Ivan. Unscientifically, it seems my roosters that start out as hens, lol, have nicer combs. I have been working with egg color and the pea combs. It is so hard to find birds with great combs.

If you had to call this a boy or a girl, what would you call it? It's a 9 week old Lavender and I've stressed to this bird time and again that it's gender is GIRL, there's another who has no bump whatsoever and no redness that I'm sure is a girl, then there's one with an obvious comb. This one is confusing me a bit and I think it might be boy?

That is really red for only 9 weeks...I can see why you would be stumped!

I have to say boy. I haven't seen fretting that early on many females.

At the risk of asking the dumb question....
Fretting?

Oooooo....I hope some of you all are mistaken about the little Lav being a boy. This one and the other (with zero comb) both grew secondary feathers and tail feathers really fast. The one I'm sure is a boy still doesn't have a single tail feather and grew his secondary wing feathers real slow. He was the one always chest-bumping with other chicks in the group, too. The other 2 didn't. It just really throws me that it's red. The one I know for sure is a boy is super red and has a big 3 rowed comb. Shoot, another wait and see, I guess.
I never knew what fretting was, I thought it was a typo for something lol That's interesting. I'll have to check the other one that I'm sure is a girl and see what her's looks like tomorrow.

Last edited:
Oooooo....I hope some of you all are mistaken about the little Lav being a boy. This one and the other (with zero comb) both grew secondary feathers and tail feathers really fast. The one I'm sure is a boy still doesn't have a single tail feather and grew his secondary wing feathers real slow. He was the one always chest-bumping with other chicks in the group, too. The other 2 didn't. It just really throws me that it's red. The one I know for sure is a boy is super red and has a big 3 rowed comb. Shoot, another wait and see, I guess.
I never knew what fretting was, I thought it was a typo for something lol That's interesting. I'll have to check the other one that I'm sure is a girl and see what her's looks like tomorrow.
I have the same problem... every time I get little roos together to boot out the door..... the Ameraucanas get to stay a lot longer, cuz I just can't tell for sure. Some are close calls so better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom