Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Hello,
I have been raising and breeding Cochins, mostly bantam, for three years. My neighbor, and Chicken mentor, has Blue Ameraucanas and a rooster that is one of the nicest roos I have ever seen. He also has several colors of Marans including Wheatons that I find so beautiful. I have been happy with my fluffy Cochins and if I felt any to need to learn about other breeds I could just visit across the street. I do have a couple of EE hens in my largest pen just for blue eggs and I just love their beards. But have been reluctant to get Ameraucanas because I don't care for flighty birds.
Recently I made the "Leap" into another breed and got a young Wheaten Ameraucana pair. - beards and such a beautiful color. These two are so calm! I can already tell that I will love them. Do Ameraucana temperments vary widely?
This pair is 5 mo. old. When do Ameraucanas finish growing and when does their pattern mature. Bantam Cochins begin to lay as early as 5 mo. and their pattern evolves untill they are nearly two.
I am very excited, didn't think any other breed could ever rinterest me as much as Cochins. I will follow this thread and learn a lot from pics and what you experienced breeders discuss.
MJ

Thanks Ron. Ohio here.

I live in Woodland Ca, near Sacramento. The Ameraucana breeders I know of are around here.

Is there anyone from Ohio that can help get some eggs for 100chickens?

If you don't get a response from this thread let me know and I will give you a contact in California that will set you up with hatching eggs.

Ron

In search of good quality blue ameraucanas. Eggs or chicks.

Welcome the thread 100chickens. There are a lot of great breeders. You can find them here: http://www.ameraucana.org/DnLd/BreedersDirectory.pdf

That is not an all inclusive list. There are some breeders that have eggs listed for sale in the hatching eggs section of the forum. A member that has good colored eggs, is Lark Rise. I bought 24 eggs from her. I got extras 33 total, and 27 hatched. It was a wonderful hatch rate, the peeps are currently 5 weeks old and still doing well.

With all of that said. It is a hard time of the year. The chickens are hot, or broody here at my place. I took my roosters out of the breeding pens. A lot of people are starting to condition their birds for showing in the fall too. You might have a hard time finding some eggs??? Good Luck!!!

Cute pic with the mirror!
i didn't notice it was mirror!!!! i thought it was two chicks!!!!
lau.gif

i am going to post a picture or my birds to see if they are really ameraucanas.

Just wondering, what color are the legs suppose to be on these beauitful birds? I have 3 that I hatched from eggs that I bought off of Ebay, not a good experience, but I am unsure of leg color. Actally I'm pretty sure they are EE's instead.

welcome-byc.gif
100chickens!
Ameoucauna Breeders Club is a good place to start. Also check the auction pages here on BYC, do a search for past
auctions in the auction archives with Ameraucana in the title. There you will see pictures of what the people here on BYC have had to offer as far as Ameruacanas in the springtime when things are more popping. You will find all the colors. You might like one better than another. Then you can send a PM to that Blue Ameraucana breeder and ask questions. I, personally, don't do that variety but there are those here and on the ABC site that do.
Denise
Paradise Found

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom