Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

A bit off topic, but someone on the Facebook Ameraucana Chickens group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/65816532358/) posted a picture of an EE pullet that looks like a diluted silver to me.
What would you call a silver with the dilution gene? A blue silver? A silver blue?
Anyone heard of these before? Karen?

I don't know much about the silvers. It's an interesting color for sure.

Yes, I did mention that it is an EE pullet in my original post.

I'm not interested in whether it is an EE or an Ameraucana. That point is moot; that horse is dead and buried; that dog don't hunt; that song has already been sung, etc.
cool.png
Let's not drag up that old chestnut again. Can we, just for a moment, ignore the breed and talk about the question I asked?
smile.png

I am interested in the genetics of the coloring, and what one would call that pattern. It appears to be a female silver with a dilution gene (or two), yes? If that were true, what would one call that pattern? A blue silver? A silver blue? A silver lavender? A lavender silver? Something else entirely? K.I.Forgot, Karen, do you have an opinion?

I don't know much about the silvers. It's an interesting color for sure.
Me, either! I do BBS Ameraucanas. I did have some SG Dorkings for a while, which is why I am interested in this pattern.

It looks to me like a diluted silver, maybe a double diluted silver, but completely unlike the SG Dorking pattern. Until I noticed the rosy breast, it looked like a lavender to me.

Soz - all. I'll ask on the Dorking list. They know Silvers there. BTW - this Karen I speak of is on that last; she's seriously into genetics. My bad.

A bit off topic, but someone on the Facebook Ameraucana Chickens group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/65816532358/) posted a picture of an EE pullet that looks like a diluted silver to me.
What would you call a silver with the dilution gene? A blue silver? A silver blue?
Anyone heard of these before? Karen?
I would call her a Blue Silver. There are acouple breeders that are working on this variety, me included.
smile.png

Do you know where she got it from?

I'm not interested in whether it is an EE or an Ameraucana. That point is moot; that horse is dead and buried; that dog don't hunt; that song has already been sung, etc.
cool.png
Let's not drag up that old chestnut again. Can we, just for a moment, ignore the breed and talk about the question I asked?
smile.png

I am interested in the genetics of the coloring, and what one would call that pattern. It appears to be a female silver with a dilution gene (or two), yes? If that were true, what would one call that pattern? A blue silver? A silver blue? A silver lavender? A lavender silver? Something else entirely? K.I.Forgot, Karen, do you have an opinion?

My understanding of the genes and a colour pattern as complex as that - there is absolutely no way of knowing what genes are at play without knowing the parents and the off-spring. Guesses might start to become more educated and accurate with that information.

Since that bird is an Easter Egger and not an Ameraucana and that colour pattern is clearly not Ameraucana, perhaps you would get more helpful responses if you asked the question on a thread not dedicated to Ameraucanas?
idunno.gif

Last edited:

I'm not interested in whether it is an EE or an Ameraucana. That point is moot; that horse is dead and buried; that dog don't hunt; that song has already been sung, etc. :cool:  Let's not drag up that old chestnut again. Can we, just for a moment, ignore the breed and talk about the question I asked? :)

I am interested in the genetics of the coloring, and what one would call that pattern. It appears to be a female silver with a dilution gene (or two), yes? If that were true, what would one call that pattern? A blue silver? A silver blue? A silver lavender? A lavender silver? Something else entirely? K.I.Forgot, Karen, do you have an opinion?
I'd call her pretty

Sorry, can't help you much for names. I would start a new topic under what breed or gender is this. Illa would know. She is Queen of the EEs :)

Back
Top Bottom