Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Updating my Village of Ameraucanas raising the Marans kids ....
2665.png

Not sure Aunt Kelly signed up for this but she sure seems to tolerate them

The kids are just about 3 weeks old

At the end of the day

It's getting chilly at night here now

Can't wait until I can let these two sisters broody raise Ameraucanas .... just got to get the timing right.
lol too cute. love a mama chicken and her chicks

Out of all the ones I hatched I had one with the 3 lined comb! The feathers were skinnier looking too! I told the buyer I thought that was a boy. The rest I believe are all girls. The ones I kept are calm tempered. They jump up in my lap already at two weeks. They stole my heart. I'd love to grow the entire hatch all out, but I don't have the room yet. We are working on it and will be finished by spring. I did have 2 with split wing and I know for a fact that does not correct itself. I have a RIR hen with split wing. They were mostly very light blue in color with the exception of the 2 black and 2 dark blue which one was a male. They buyer wanted the chicks for their blue eggs in their cartons.

I have 3 in the incubator now. 2 pipped already and I hear one peeping right now:). I bought 12 from this bunch, but 4 were infertile and 5 had blood rings by day 3. I was NOT happy! The carton they travelled in was filthy with bugs, dirt, and grime. Even I buy new cartons myself for my eating eggs I give away. They are cheap.

I can't cull. Everyone I don't keep goes to a new home so far. I don't even know how to cull a baby and I don't know if I could without feeling guilty as heck. This is also something I'm not against either.

Anyways, I'm hatching more in the spring and all from the ABC list!
big_smile.png
. That's another reason why I'm not worried about rehoming now, there was only 1 I questioned , but let her go at last minute. I really want blacks most of all. I have one nice one in the brooder, I hope she turns out SQ. I'm willing to fork out a few bucks this spring for a couple nice sets from the breeders list.
Oh, I didn't mean cull as in put them down, I mean as in rehome them. If I don't want to use it for my flock and I sell it or give it away, I consider that culling. I have only culled as in killed for humane reasons when something hatched with a serious defect. Also, I generally can't see how many rows a comb has until the chicks are two or three weeks old. Some boys are slower maturing and it takes even longer to tell.

That is just nasty about the dirty eggs carton.
sickbyc.gif
And so disappointing to have all those bloodrings.
barnie.gif
It is so much more fun to hatch my own eggs, then I can avoid all those kinds of problems. I hope you can come up some nice breeding pairs of your own out of these babies. I hope you get some really pretty babies this hatch, too.
fl.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Nicole01 Out of all the ones I hatched I had one with the 3 lined comb! The feathers were skinnier looking too! I told the buyer I thought that was a boy. The rest I believe are all girls. The ones I kept are calm tempered. They jump up in my lap already at two weeks. They stole my heart. I'd love to grow the entire hatch all out, but I don't have the room yet. We are working on it and will be finished by spring. I did have 2 with split wing and I know for a fact that does not correct itself. I have a RIR hen with split wing. They were mostly very light blue in color with the exception of the 2 black and 2 dark blue which one was a male. They buyer wanted the chicks for their blue eggs in their cartons. I have 3 in the incubator now. 2 pipped already and I hear one peeping right now:). I bought 12 from this bunch, but 4 were infertile and 5 had blood rings by day 3. I was NOT happy! The carton they travelled in was filthy with bugs, dirt, and grime. Even I buy new cartons myself for my eating eggs I give away. They are cheap. I can't cull. Everyone I don't keep goes to a new home so far. I don't even know how to cull a baby and I don't know if I could without feeling guilty as heck. This is also something I'm not against either. Anyways, I'm hatching more in the spring and all from the ABC list! . That's another reason why I'm not worried about rehoming now, there was only 1 I questioned , but let her go at last minute. I really want blacks most of all. I have one nice one in the brooder, I hope she turns out SQ. I'm willing to fork out a few bucks this spring for a couple nice sets from the breeders list. Oh, I didn't mean cull as in put them down, I mean as in rehome them. If I don't want to use it for my flock and I sell it or give it away, I consider that culling. I have only culled as in killed for humane reasons when something hatched with a serious defect. Also, I generally can't see how many rows a comb has until the chicks are two or three weeks old. Some boys are slower maturing and it takes even longer to tell. That is just nasty about the dirty eggs carton. And so disappointing to have all those bloodrings. It is so much more fun to hatch my own eggs, then I can avoid all those kinds of problems. I hope you can come up some nice breeding pairs of your own out of these babies. I hope you get some really pretty babies this hatch, too.

I'm on cloud 9!!!!

I just hatched another BLACK ameraucana! WOOT!
mybapuza.jpg

One more is pipped and the other egg is doing nothing yet. Hatch day is suppose to be tomorrow.

Last edited:
Here is a poor pic that I had to share.I noticed this free range cull today that appears to be silver laced.He did not want to be photographed.I must catch him tomorrow.He was already roosting 20 feet in a tree.I chased him out to get this pic.I thought he only had a spotted breast but noticed this morning during chores that he truly seems to be silver laced.He has missed his appointment with the freezer by chance.I can not explain the appearence of lacing as 2 copies of the pattern gene is required.He is out of a Blhem silver rooster and some pullets that were 1/2 wheaten from Meridth breeding.Only mentioned names to give the genetic info as this is my own creation and not a reflection on those mentioned.Trying to put some size in the silvers.Different approach than most have used.So parents were not related and lacing should not be present in any of these lines.Spontaneous mutation is my best guess.Will post more when I capture him and examine him more closely.

Here is a poor pic that I had to share.I noticed this free range cull today that appears to be silver laced.He did not want to be photographed.I must catch him tomorrow.He was already roosting 20 feet in a tree.I chased him out to get this pic.I thought he only had a spotted breast but noticed this morning during chores that he truly seems to be silver laced.He has missed his appointment with the freezer by chance.I can not explain the appearence of lacing as 2 copies of the pattern gene is required.He is out of a Blhem silver rooster and some pullets that were 1/2 wheaten from Meridth breeding.Only mentioned names to give the genetic info as this is my own creation and not a reflection on those mentioned.Trying to put some size in the silvers.Different approach than most have used.So parents were not related and lacing should not be present in any of these lines.Spontaneous mutation is my best guess.Will post more when I capture him and examine him more closely.
Interesting! Yes better pics. Cant make heads or tails of the pic. lol!!

Updating my Village of Ameraucanas raising the Marans kids ....
2665.png

Not sure Aunt Kelly signed up for this but she sure seems to tolerate them

The kids are just about 3 weeks old

At the end of the day

It's getting chilly at night here now

Can't wait until I can let these two sisters broody raise Ameraucanas .... just got to get the timing right.
Barn Goddess, How do you get the signature on your pictures?

Quote:
I use Adobe Lightroom which applies my signature (and copyright information embedded in the file) automatically whenever I export for publishing online or when I upload to Facebook. But as was already pointed out, you can usually paint a signature on using any graphics program that has a text feature. Just make sure to save the image with a new name so you don't permanently disfigure your original.
smile.png

I'm amazed! I hatched a bunch of Ameraucana'a on the 28th and I hatched 2 yesterday. I had built a wire partition out of chicken wire(for some reason we had some) and the baby chick kept getting through and the there I kept didn't mind the little one. Anyways, I took the partition out and my older ones look after the two small black chicks that hatched yesterday. I just looked in the brooder and the whole group was under the light. The older 3 are almost fully feathered, so they usually sleep on the opposite end or on the roost.

None of my Ameraucana's are skittish at all. They are very calm and trusting towards us. I'm very happy with the results I've hatched. Now I need nice looking birds to show next year. I'm hatching one more set starting next week. I want to make sure I have nice looking Ameraucana's to choose from, I like to try and stick with all blacks and 1 blue. My girls will be showing with each other, so I'd like them to have different color birds going into the shows. I have 3 blacks and 2 blues, which I believe 1 is splash. The feathers are such a light blue, they look whîte.

I didn't get a photo of all of them all together, it was too late, but I did get 2nd oldest black with the baby. Sorry for the very poor quality photo, I use red lamps.
B2A2F5A3-0746-4C88-A4E6-DF595FF950B1-20121-00000A69DDF10AF9_zps46cf53ce.jpg

My Ameraucana are very gentle in nature. I was expecting the blues/blacks to be skittish and they are not. I'm very pleased! I hope this will be good for show.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom