Ancona Ducks

Hi all!

I'm a long time BYC member as I have Bielefelders and Marans. Recently I've heard of the Ancona duck and I'd LOVE to get three to five of them! Any one in Central NC have Anconas? Thanks!

Dana
Not sure of anyone in that state with quality pure anconas.
As mini does, I also ship eggs, ducklings, juvies and adults.
I have some ducklings ready to ship now if you are interested. Feel free to message me!

I live in southern Ohio also. I am in Adams County Ohio. I would love to get some Ancona ducklings from you. Do you still have these kind of ducks? I am new to backyard chickens and just joined today. Not sure how to navigate this thread. Hope this message gets to you. Thanks.

I live in southern Ohio also. I am in Adams County Ohio. I would love to get some Ancona ducklings from you. Do you still have these kind of ducks? I am new to backyard chickens and just joined today. Not sure how to navigate this thread. Hope this message gets to you. Thanks.
I do still have them. I will send you a message.

Hi, all. I've been a member here for a while. I keep Black Australorps, one lone Wyandotte, and some Khaki ducks. I just added a pair or Bourbon Red turkeys last spring. Don't know if I really have the infrastructure for them, though. They might have to go.

I'm interested in your experiences with Ancona ducks. For me, the Khakis are great egg layers but they are sooo flighty and wild. Almost unmanageable regarding being able to catch them. I want to get rid of the Khakis I have now (3 drakes, 1 female) and transition into Anconas.

I had an extremely hard time finding any, but persisted and finally found someone about an hour south of here with a variety of different poultry, including Anconas. I feel so lucky! I am waiting for her ducklings to hatch out as the adult birds were a little pricey. I want one male and three females as I've had experience with the too-many-drakes syndrome.

From what I've read they are about the perfect duck (for my needs). Calm (#1 consideration!) good sized for meat, decent egg layers, great foragers (I have a fenced acre), and don't fly much.

Has this been your experience? Let me know how you like these ducks!

Quote:

From a strictly amateur point of view, technically our ducks belong to my kid, I think they are pretty easy going. Biggest worry is who will put them in the coop at night and who is getting up on the weekend to let them out. And even putting them away isn't bad as they go in by themselves at late dusk and wait for us to close the door.

We did have a couple males that fought with each other, but one is gone now and that solved our only real issue.

They arent friendly to us, but the come when they see we have treats, veggie clippings, etc. We have a male who acts like the body guard, always placing himself between us and the girls. He can get a little nippy sometimes, but not like goose level or anything.

And they do not fly. They can flap while running and it almost looks like gliding but little to no height. And I did have one that would flap wings while climbing a fence to get over but only because she had found a nice nesting spot just on the other side of the fence. I fixed up a couple nice spots inside the fence and that ended.

The eggs are tasty. During laying season we get one from each female almost every day. I havent eaten any of our ducks, my wife considers them pets so no eating them.

Love Ancona Ducks. Ours are sweet even tempered. However ours lay white creamy eggs and not the blue green eggs that I have heard about from some other Ancona Ducks owners. They lay all winter long and love their pond. We had others Khakis & Pekin and rehomed them bc we prefer the clean non aggressive Ancona Ducks.

i have an open question my anacona's stopped laying this winter which is strange because they laid eggs last year and the year before through the winter with no issues this year they stopped out of the blue mid January and i am stumped. I'm in north Central Texas and we are already seeing 80 degree temps the whole flock including the chickens has molted for the spring also the chickens have been laying again as normal for over 2 months any ideas when my ducks will start laying again?

i have an open question my anacona's stopped laying this winter which is strange because they laid eggs last year and the year before through the winter with no issues this year they stopped out of the blue mid January and i am stumped. I'm in north Central Texas and we are already seeing 80 degree temps the whole flock including the chickens has molted for the spring also the chickens have been laying again as normal for over 2 months any ideas when my ducks will start laying again?
how old are your ducks?

Each year they age they will begin laying later and later in the year.

Any stress? Predators? Chickens or ducks picking on each other?

New environment? New feeders? New anything?

Ducks greatly dislike change

Last edited:
Lots of babies hatching! Feel free to shoot me a message if anyone needs some quality anconas!
Black, blue, chocolate, lilac, tricolors, and silvers available from this hatch

Attachments

• assorted anconas.jpg
    assorted anconas.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom