Ancona Ducks

Pics
Ok, well here are some shots of my "Ancona" ducks from Sand Hill. Obviously, the black/white one is Ancona. The other 2 white ones are a bit bigger then her, one is female and one is male. They either are both white Anconas or one is a Pekin and one is a Ancona. What do you all think? I plan on selling the 2 white ones as a pair when I able to procure new/better stock, but for now they will keep the only "good" one company.

Last edited:
They both look like Pekins to me. Larger head than I've seen on most Anconas. Hard to say for sure though. I ordered from Sandhills too. Was going to increase our layer flock for eggs, but they cancelled our order altogether. Guess I should be thankful.

Lovely! I've been very happy with the markings and size on our babies this year, glad to see it is consistent. Looks like you might have a lilac, if that what it actually is. Will have to test breed to find out. Are the feathers on the tail another color from the ones on the back?

Is there a lilac color in Anconas? Are there other acceptable colors than these?

BLACK
CHOCOLATE
BLUE
LAVENDER
SILVER
TRI-COLOR

His tail does seem to be a slightly different shade than the rest of him. He keeps changing color, so I'm kind of just waiting for his next molt to see what happens. I was thinking he is lavender...?

I think they are both Pekins too, they have both have thick necks. Honestly, they should have canceled my duck order all together, and I would have neen totally cool with that! At least I wouldn't have put time and money into substandard stock. Oh well, I had issues with another oder from them too, they admittedly sent chicks too old to be shipped, so I ended up with a whole bunch of fading and dead chicks. I will still order seeds from them, but I will never ever buy poultry from Sand Hill. I think I will shoot them an email and ask them how I am supposed to figure these guys out.:rolleyes:

I think they are both Pekins too, they have both have thick necks. Honestly, they should have canceled my duck order all together, and I would have neen totally cool with that! At least I wouldn't have put time and money into substandard stock. Oh well, I had issues with another oder from them too, they admittedly sent chicks too old to be shipped, so I ended up with a whole bunch of fading and dead chicks. I will still order seeds from them, but I will never ever buy poultry from Sand Hill. I think I will shoot them an email and ask them how I am supposed to figure these guys out.
roll.png

That is awful - unprofessional and inhumane. I would never do any business with them.

That's awful! I did send a order in for 15 Indian Runner Ducklings (Grey, Buff, Trout?) this spring and I had to cancel it due to a family emergency and no one would have been home to get them.
It took them over 2 months to send a check back, they could have at least called and said "We're sorry we didn't get to you fast enough." That would have been OK with me but I had left over 10 message on their voice mail.. I thought I was never going to see that money again!

I understand they are a family run hatchery/business but that is NOT how you do business at all!

I had to wait quite awhile for my partial refund too, probably a month or so. I wanted really bad to have a good experience with them, because I love that they are preserving so many breeds of poultry and of seeds. But they failed.

You are right ChristineR. Completely inhumane, I will not be supporting them any longer, at all. It was a completely avoidable situation, and they handled it terribly.

Per Holdderread's book: " Lavender Anconas have the same genotype as Chocolates, except they are heterozygous for blue, while Lilacs are homozygous for blue. "

We are realizing that a lot of our Lavenders are actually Lilacs. Working on getting pictures together to show the differences.

Ok, well here are some shots of my "Ancona" ducks from Sand Hill. Obviously, the black/white one is Ancona. The other 2 white ones are a bit bigger then her, one is female and one is male. They either are both white Anconas or one is a Pekin and one is a Ancona. What do you all think? I plan on selling the 2 white ones as a pair when I able to procure new/better stock, but for now they will keep the only "good" one company.

The white ones look like my Pekins. Spitting image. I'm sorry. :(

Back
Top Bottom