Ancona Ducks

Pics
Came across this thread regarding Anconas: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-actually-a-cross-experts-weigh-in-please/20

Not trying to stir anything up, I just want to know what others have to say about this claim that the Ancona isn't really a heritage breed. Anyone know anything or heard this before?
Don't take my word for it, research the breed yourself. I challenge anyone to find a single documented reference to the Ancona duck prior to 1980's Oregon. Correspond with British waterfowl breeders, as have I. Find a single one who knows of the existence of the Ancona duck breed there, prior to recently. If not created here from mismarked Magpies, who imported the first ones to the US, and when? From what breeder in the UK? I'd love to see this untitled, undated book from Cornell that supposedly mentions them. If in fact it does exist, why has no other British author mentioned them as well? Not one. Appleyard historically and Ashton currently are two of Britain's most famous domestic waterfowl breeders, authors and historians. Why has neither seen fit to mention the Ancona duck in any of their works?

Don't take my word for it, research the breed yourself. I challenge anyone to find a single documented reference to the Ancona duck prior to 1980's Oregon. Correspond with British waterfowl breeders, as have I. Find a single one who knows of the existence of the Ancona duck breed there, prior to recently. If not created here from mismarked Magpies, who imported the first ones to the US, and when? From what breeder in the UK? I'd love to see this untitled, undated book from Cornell that supposedly mentions them. If in fact it does exist, why has no other British author mentioned them as well? Not one. Appleyard historically and Ashton currently are two of Britain's most famous domestic waterfowl breeders, authors and historians. Why has neither seen fit to mention the Ancona duck in any of their works?
Would you mind explaining why you're so certain they aren't what is commonly believed to be true? You seem to be on a mission to disprove the origins of the Ancona duck. The "originator" you refer to below must be Holderread...? Have you asked him about them?

Your quote from the other thread:
"I hate to break it to you, but all Ancona ducks are mutts, or at least are a relatively recent creation as a breed. The originator claimed for years that they were an old British breed, but there is not one shred of documentation which proves that they existed any time before they were first promoted in the US in the 1980s. Interestingly, the originator also bred Magpies, which throw a very high percentage of mismarked offspring which have little value. All of a sudden, so breed historians surmise, the originator now had a ready outlet to sell his mismarked Magpies, by claiming that they are another breed altogether. After observing a large number of Anconas, you will notice that the colored feathers do tend to be concentrated on the body in the same areas which they are on the Magpies, with obviously a lot more intrusion of white than would be allowable in a Magpie. There are a few working standards out there, but as they are not recognized by the American Poultry Association, no one can say that they are standard type.

They are a nice breed in their own right, now, but a little honesty on what they are and where they originated would be nice. The name chosen is kind of foolish. They do not resemble the correct pattern of the Ancona chicken, nor do they originate from the same town in Italy. Several other names for the breed are more appropriate, such as broken, pied or paint. Even Holstein would be more appropriate. At least they are variable in pattern, with no two the same, like the cattle of that breed."

For those of us who have been breeding waterfowl longer than just recently, the given story of the origin of the Ancona duck is far, far from "commonly believed to be true". It was I believe the Nazis who realized that if you repeat something enough times, it begins to be taken as fact. We have several breeds for which we have no proven origins, only fanciful stories which don't make sense, such as the African, the Cayuga and the East Indie. Irregardless of their actual origin, these breeds have been around long enough that there is no doubt that they are now legitimate breeds in their own right. Why would anyone in this day and age NOT want the truth about the origin of a breed if it were available? These Anconas are the only breed that either has no documented history, or is not claimed to be of recent origin. All other breeds have one or the other, even breeds which many of you have never heard of, which are not found in the US. The similarity of Anconas to mismarked Magpies is too close to ignore, especially when you take into account several other circumstances surrounding their early promotion. All I'm asking is for people to think about why there is one, and only one, person who has ever claimed to see the Ancona duck documented prior to the time that he started selling them on a commercial scale. I'm not on a mission to disprove the origins of the Ancona duck, I'm on a mission to PROVE it.

I'm so excited I finally got my hands on a female Ancona today!! I know she's a little heavily marked but you have to start somewhere no? She's just about old enough to lay, although being as gloomy as it is here I wouldn't be surprised if she waits until spring to start. I can't wait!

I'm so excited I finally got my hands on a female Ancona today!! I know she's a little heavily marked but you have to start somewhere no? She's just about old enough to lay, although being as gloomy as it is here I wouldn't be surprised if she waits until spring to start. I can't wait!
She's beautiful! And I have been to Bellingham, long long years ago. I like the Pacific Northwest. Perfect climate for ducks
big_smile.png

For those of us who have been breeding waterfowl longer than just recently, the given story of the origin of the Ancona duck is far, far from "commonly believed to be true". It was I believe the Nazis who realized that if you repeat something enough times, it begins to be taken as fact. We have several breeds for which we have no proven origins, only fanciful stories which don't make sense, such as the African, the Cayuga and the East Indie. Irregardless of their actual origin, these breeds have been around long enough that there is no doubt that they are now legitimate breeds in their own right. Why would anyone in this day and age NOT want the truth about the origin of a breed if it were available? These Anconas are the only breed that either has no documented history, or is not claimed to be of recent origin. All other breeds have one or the other, even breeds which many of you have never heard of, which are not found in the US. The similarity of Anconas to mismarked Magpies is too close to ignore, especially when you take into account several other circumstances surrounding their early promotion. All I'm asking is for people to think about why there is one, and only one, person who has ever claimed to see the Ancona duck documented prior to the time that he started selling them on a commercial scale. I'm not on a mission to disprove the origins of the Ancona duck, I'm on a mission to PROVE it.
Really? Because you're the only person I've ever come across to question it. That's why I asked the question.

No one's arguing with you - there's no need to be condescending and combative. I asked you where you got this idea, so I AM asking for the truth.

I don't care where they came from; I like the breed. If you don't want to share how you came to this conclusion, that's your choice. You're not helping anyone find "the truth" with this tone, though.

Back
Top Bottom