Ancona Ducks

It's definitely a bonus :D Plus, they're such a cute, fun breed! They are going to town on all the plantain, dandelion and clover; I'm just hoping they stay out of the corn patch and huckleberries (right, that will happen ;) )

It's definitely a bonus :D Plus, they're such a cute, fun breed! They are going to town on all the plantain, dandelion and clover; I'm just hoping they stay out of the corn patch and huckleberries (right, that will happen ;) )

My two anconas and my Muscovy were eating my lettuce today! lol! But I did put them in the garden when I had most of the weeds pulled. Figured they could fertilize it a bit for me :) I just don't want them eating my blueberry bushes!

My two anconas and my Muscovy were eating my lettuce today! lol! But I did put them in the garden when I had most of the weeds pulled. Figured they could fertilize it a bit for me
smile.png
I just don't want them eating my blueberry bushes!

They JUST hopped up into the beds today, so I'll need to keep a closer eye out XD I have huckleberries and blueberries and they seem to prefer to mess with the huckleberries more. The grass there is taller and thicker and the huckleberries are lower to the ground. Womp wow.

They totally destroyed my cilantro! I have cinder blocks for my beds and was growing cilantro and flowers in the holes and they go nuts for that. I just planted some more the other day to keep up with them, heh.

My two anconas and my Muscovy were eating my lettuce today! lol! But I did put them in the garden when I had most of the weeds pulled. Figured they could fertilize it a bit for me :) I just don't want them eating my blueberry bushes!

Mine try for a nibble at the blueberry bush any time they're near it... Haven't dared to try them by the garden!

Mine try for a nibble at the blueberry bush any time they're near it... Haven't dared to try them by the garden!

They go after bugs in the garden and hopefully snails when they are older. We might put up some fencing so they can just get at anything along the edge. We will see about them and blueberries.

They go after bugs in the garden and hopefully snails when they are older. We might put up some fencing so they can just get at anything along the edge. We will see about them and blueberries.

I've read that they are good with bugs in the yard and garden. But I also know that they like greens. I think we will range them in the yard near the garden, but keep them out of the garden itself to protect my lettuce and spinach and peas...

oh i meant to ask what type of greens are you growing? i tryed romaine lettuce but the snails went to town before i could get to eat any:/  

I just bought two six packs of two different types of lettuce at the local feed store. Two heads got eaten by snails really fast! We have lots of snail.... part of the reason we got ducks. I crushed up egg shells and put it around the lettuce to keep the snails away and now they are big and haven't had much of a problem :)

I just bought two six packs of two different types of lettuce at the local feed store. Two heads got eaten by snails really fast! We have lots of snail.... part of the reason we got ducks. I crushed up egg shells and put it around the lettuce to keep the snails away and now they are big and haven't had much of a problem :)

If you have lots of snails and slugs, go buy some cheap beer (or use any left in the bottom of beer bottles... we don't really drink so we have to buy beer) pore beer into shallow containers, like tuna cans, and place around the garden area. Slugs and snails will crawl in and drowned. We use to do that but now I have a daycare and I don't want beer placed out and me to forget and take the kids outside.... you get the picture ;) but I would do beer and eggshells!

I just bought two six packs of two different types of lettuce at the local feed store. Two heads got eaten by snails really fast! We have lots of snail.... part of the reason we got ducks. I crushed up egg shells and put it around the lettuce to keep the snails away and now they are big and haven't had much of a problem
smile.png
i have egg shells coming out of my ears...."TO THE GARDEN!!" (Pulls out air sword)

Back
Top Bottom