Ancona Ducks

From what I read about the anconas is you actually don't want solid black and their isn't a conformity to it. The black should be broken on the sides, head and underside but no 2 will be alike because their markings are similar to the Holstein cows. Some will get solid coloring but it's an undesirable trait and is recommended not to use in breeding programs. Anconas beaks should also be broken up but again they don't conform so I suppose it's possible to get one with an all black beak. I would assume that's an undesirable trait as well though. I don't know much about magpies. I do know they have similar traits and that their bodies and beaks should also be broken up. Solid color is undesirable and they are just slightly smaller then anconas. I plan on starting a breeding program with my anconas and have been doing loads of research lol. Hopefully I will produce more quality ducks. :)

I didn't say solid black.
There is a conformity, 10-30° above horizontal and a nicely shaped head is desired.

I was going to say Magpie, she looks exactly like my magpie, plus she has a black bill. Anconas shouldn't have a pure black bill. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :) Or she could be a mix. Magpie in the front, Ancona in the back with two Rouens.
You know with that bib it could be a black swedish as well. I have one and her beak is solid black. White bib and a few spots are what's common. You should ask on their thread.. :)

She's a verified Magpie. I bought her from a breeder. I was showing to the original poster that hers could be a mix or a Magpie, doesn't look pure Ancona to me.

I'm not sure if this one actually is an Ancona, or maybe a magpie? Shes (all my ducks are girls in my head) my favorite though, I love the markings. Can't wait to see her with all of her mature feathers.
Definitely NOT an ancona. My guess would be swedish or a mix. Anconas should have more white than color and have speckled bills, legs & feet. I call my annies my dalmation ducks. That is the type of spotting desirable on an ancona.
1f609.png

Last edited:
Clucking Lovely what ever she is ,she is neat looking. I had a blue Swedish that was marked like that but in blue grey color. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom