And now...the run....

That looks awesome!  Love the garden too -- do you have problems with weeds coming through the mulch pathways?  I've been considering putting landscape fabric/mulch down with mine but everything I read says it only works for a couple years then weeds come through and it's a disaster.  I love the look/maintenance factor though.  

We have 6 mil plastic under the mulch. Nothing comes through. Eventually some seeds will germinate in the mulch but we use a pre-emergent there like Preen when needed or just stir it all up with a rake. We've just changed the plastic out this spring after 20 years of gardening so it lasts a good long time. I wouldn't dream of doing the paths any other way. It makes life so much easier.

We have 6 mil plastic under the mulch. Nothing comes through. Eventually some seeds will germinate in the mulch but we use a pre-emergent there like Preen when needed or just stir it all up with a rake. We've just changed the plastic out this spring after 20 years of gardening so it lasts a good long time. I wouldn't dream of doing the paths any other way. It makes life so much easier.

Does it get soupy during thunderstorms?

The mulch buffer against the run will soak it up so run won't flood?

The majority of the run off goes to the north and out into the yard. The trench that the railroad ties are in next to the run will also double as a drain. The ground is sloping slightly away from the run east to west away from the coop and then to the south out of the run. I'm confident that the run will be fine.

And tonight, everybody went in the pool. :weee

They just went bananas. Then they all went back in the coop on their own. :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom