Angel wing in ducks, & how we wrap to mend it - Pictorial

That should take care of it. Since it isn't sticking out much yet. The wing looks strange like feathers are missing, is that just from flight feathers coming in?
When we stretched her wing out to get the wrap on there, it doesn't look like any feathers are missing. I think it is part of the flight feathers coming in as well as the way she is holding it. When we got up this morning to check on her the wrap was off, so we re-wrapped her and then gave her some treats, my poor girl 😥 Will this way of wrapping her still do ok for the 3-5 days? I'm also curious if this is really a protein issue. I'm also wondering if it really would be a genetic thing. All 6 of my girls are the same age, they were sent from the same hatchery, and they all eat the same food. We have a feed store here that makes ours and it's at about 20% protein or so. The owner suggested keeping them around this protein % until they get closer to laying. Nobody else is showing any signs of any issue. My husband and I have discussed cutting their food a bit to bring protein down, but they haven't been outside much to really forage yet. It's still been too cold and/or windy. This is really their only food source aside from the occasional banana or kale/lettuce/veggie mix.

It looks like it's pretty well fixed. Please correct me if I'm wrong, @Miss Lydia.

I'm also going to throw this out there because I found wrapping to be tedious and difficult. I cut the foot part off a sock and use just the ankle/calf part as a wrap. I just make sure the wing is in the correct position and put the sock over it like a duckie sweater. It's worked 2x for me.

And I've read studies that show there is a genetic tendency as well as a protein-related tie.

It looks like it's pretty well fixed. Please correct me if I'm wrong, @Miss Lydia.

I'm also going to throw this out there because I found wrapping to be tedious and difficult. I cut the foot part off a sock and use just the ankle/calf part as a wrap. I just make sure the wing is in the correct position and put the sock over it like a duckie sweater. It's worked 2x for me.

And I've read studies that show there is a genetic tendency as well as a protein-related tie.
I saw that method as an option as well! Another one I saw was a t-shirt sleeve. If this wrap doesn't end up staying on for long, we may revert to an option like that. Would a sock be too tight around her? I saw some people saying that their birds lost their balance and fell over? Is that more of an issue with smaller/younger ducks? I'd hate for the others to pick on her. She's more of a timid girl and hangs back to watch most of the time.

I saw that method as an option as well! Another one I saw was a t-shirt sleeve. If this wrap doesn't end up staying on for long, we may revert to an option like that. Would a sock be too tight around her? I saw some people saying that their birds lost their balance and fell over? Is that more of an issue with smaller/younger ducks? I'd hate for the others to pick on her. She's more of a timid girl and hangs back to watch most of the time.
I didn't have an issue with my Swedish, but your duckie might be older than she was at the time we used it. I saw someone use pantyhose before, which would be stretchy enough, I would think.

My ducks never had an issue, but I could see that happening. I just had a heck of a time keeping the vet wrap on. The sock did the trick.

I didn't have an issue with my Swedish, but your duckie might be older than she was at the time we used it. I saw someone use pantyhose before, which would be stretchy enough, I would think.

My ducks never had an issue, but I could see that happening. I just had a heck of a time keeping the vet wrap on. The sock did the trick.
Well by the time I posted the last one saying that I had re-wrapped it, I had gone out to check them again (we are without power and using a generator-my puppy unplugged the generator so I went to the barn to make sure their heat lamp & room heater came back on) she had gotten the new wrap off so I used an old stretched out sock of my husband's. It seems ok for now. I'll continue to check on her frequently to make sure. But she is still quacking away and doesn't seem strained or panting so I think it is ok. Like I said, I'll keep checking on her. She definitely had some balance issues at first but now she is walking around ok. I hope this helps, I feel like I'm really stressing them out when I catch her. The other girls all call to her and she gets more upset.

Well by the time I posted the last one saying that I had re-wrapped it, I had gone out to check them again (we are without power and using a generator-my puppy unplugged the generator so I went to the barn to make sure their heat lamp & room heater came back on) she had gotten the new wrap off so I used an old stretched out sock of my husband's. It seems ok for now. I'll continue to check on her frequently to make sure. But she is still quacking away and doesn't seem strained or panting so I think it is ok. Like I said, I'll keep checking on her. She definitely had some balance issues at first but now she is walking around ok. I hope this helps, I feel like I'm really stressing them out when I catch her. The other girls all call to her and she gets more upset.
The wing looks pretty good after your wrap. I don't think it'll take much to fix it now. They always look a little off from the wrap scrunching the feathers.

This is what I would suggest doing. and keep her out of water while wrapped.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help.761308/ page 4 post #33 show one way to treat.

As for lowering the protein, I used Purina flock raiser for years from hatch till old age and never had angle wing in any of my waterfowl some say high protein others genetic . Purina is 20% protein.

Back
Top Bottom