Another sick peacock....

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Now Sapphire is sick. He has been in the rafters all day, and I heard him sneezing several times throughout the day. His eyes look ok. He has not had anything to eat or drink all day as far as I know though. This is alarming as he has seemed fine, even yesterday.

He is much less trusting than Phoenix and I anticipate problems in trying to give medicine to him. But what would be best? Baytril again, or should I start the whole flock on another round of Denagard, assuming that this might be MG again?

Phoenix is doing very well...barely noticeable swelling on his face, bad eye looks a little glassy, but he can see out of it I'm pretty sure, and he is acting quite happy....especially since Sapphire's been sick.
sad.png
He gets to be alpha now..

Everyone else in the flock seems fine, so far.

If you have problems with birds taking meds.Pump their meds into mealworms.All birds love mealworms and will not refuse them at any time.
In N.H.,Tony.

My barn has a naturally occurring population of meal worms, we even donate them to our local wild bird rescue. We encourage them and throw some feed down in the areas they occupy. That said my peachicks go crazy over them, can't get enough. However once they are adults my peas show absolutely no interest in eating them. They will turn and walk away, I actually see very little interest in eating worms or insects of any type from my adult peas. Fruit is a different story, throw in an overripe peach and it's a feeding frenzy. I would try to find out if your peas actually like meal worms before medicating them and wasting medication.

If you have problems with birds taking meds.Pump their meds into mealworms.All birds love mealworms and will not refuse them at any time.
In N.H.,Tony.

Really? I could try that. Fresh ones, huh? Or would rehydrated dry ones work? I tried him with strawberry and grapes, normally two things he likes, but he just looked at them. He loves catfood, but lately he hasn't even been interested in that for some reason. Hormonal, probably. Not that I give him a lot of it, but when he sees me feeding the barn cats he's usually right there.

Last edited:
Yeah, I will. He loves fruit. So I'm not real optimistic about the mealworms, but I got some for free from a friend, so will see.
My husband fed them this morning since I was gone all day. Said Sapphire had dark diarhea and wouldn't come down from the roost.
sad.png

he came up to the house this evening and by himself. No interest in the mealworms, but I brought him a little canned catfood mixed up in a bread ball (love those bread balls)...and he ate it. So I was able to coax him to eat some more only these had the medicine crushed up inside. I had to wheedle him a bit, but he did eat them all. Hopefully it will give him a kick start in the right direction, and if I can just get him to keep taking the med for the next week or so! He seemed to feel a little better today, it was a nice day but cool. Still sounds awful.
sad.png
Next couple of days are supposed to be pretty warm, so hopefully that will help too....

hugs.gif
I am praying for him over here.
fl.gif

It is a good sign when they eat, course peas don't eat unless they are hungry, unlike my chickens that would peck my face off if i passed out in the yard , cause i am getting old and that kinda stuff can happen
lau.gif

How much water is he drinking?

hugs.gif
I am praying for him over here.
fl.gif

It is a good sign when they eat, course peas don't eat unless they are hungry, unlike my chickens that would peck my face off if i passed out in the yard , cause i am getting old and that kinda stuff can happen
lau.gif

How much water is he drinking?
big_smile.png
Thanks. I can't tell how much water he's drinking, because we've had so much rain lately he could drink anywhere. I'll see how he is today, haven't been out there yet.
I can hear Phoenix screaming from here, so at least HE is better.
roll.png
We're gonna have a beautiful day today, so I'm hoping for the best.
smile.png

hugs.gif

Perhaps he just landed wrong and was off his feed, seen it happen here, all they would do was drink for a day and it made their poo runny as it cleaned them out.

Glad he is better i know it is hard when they are off and you don't know exactly what the cause is, kinda like having a child but at least i could find a local doctor for my kidos when they needed one, Peas are a whole nother story, ain't got an avian vet within 120 miles that i know of.

Back
Top Bottom