Any Hawaii Folks on BYC?

Aloha from Oahu!

I have 9 hens all about to turn 1 year in the next 1-5 months or so. They are all producing eggs--well, I should say that one is not...she went broody. They lay anywhere from 5-8 eggs a day.

I have the following type of chickens:

1 Barred Rock from Kaneohe Farm
2 Cinnamon Girls from Asagi Hatchery
3 Easter Eggers from Kaneohe Farm
2 Bantam Cochins (1 buff and 1 blue) from Asagi Hatchery
1 Buff Orpington from Asagi Hatchery

I have no roosters. Had 3 but had to give them away as they were too noisy for my neighborhood.

Questions: what do you all do with your roosters? do you have a reference for a farm or someone who is willing to re-home roosters? I am looking for a future reference as I would like to buy chicks but they are more than likely to be from a straight run batch.

Mahalo!

Just joining in from Kalaheo Kauai! Awaiting my first order of chicks from the mainland that should be here tomorrow morning! Couldn't find any chicks locally and after a couple months of looking and contacting people with no luck I finally decided to give ordering from Ideal a try. Fingers crossed! I ordered twice the number I wanted to end up with to be safe, may sell some if they all survive. Or extend my run if I can't part with them lol

Just joining in from Kalaheo Kauai! Awaiting my first order of chicks from the mainland that should be here tomorrow morning! Couldn't find any chicks locally and after a couple months of looking and contacting people with no luck I finally decided to give ordering from Ideal a try. Fingers crossed! I ordered twice the number I wanted to end up with to be safe, may sell some if they all survive. Or extend my run if I can't part with them lol
Welcome to the Group- I'm on the Big Island in HPP on Puna side. I see that Chicken Math has gotten you in it's nefarious grasp already! LOL. No worries, there is always room for more chickens!

My babies arrived this morning! One didn't survive the trip here but the other 9 did. It seems I've got a good mix of egg layers pullets. I ordered from Ideal poultry and got 10 from their standard egg layer assortment special. So now the guessing game of what breeds I got begin. I was hoping they'd throw in at least one or two packing peanuts so I'd have a nice rooster. But I'm happy with what I received!

Aloha and Welcome from the Big Island, Puna, Kukui Camp. Glad to see your chickies arrived. I also ordered from Ideal back in late June. Be careful what you wish for. I ordered 16 and got 32. Haha, chicken math magic strikes again. Hope all goes well with yours.

Most of them are doing great! One of my fluffy little Easter eggers has been in real rough shape since she arrived. Worse today than yesterday. I'm doing all I can to nurse her back to health and she's got her own special little set up away from her rambunctious friends that were running all over her. Fingers crossed she pulls through!!!

Nice to know there are others from Hawaii.....I've just subscribed to this thread, have been researching this site from 2013, love it. Most of the info coming from the Mainland, have been very helpful with ideas & info.

I've been using ACV in the water but find black spots (mold?) on the sides of the container & a film floating in it after a few days. Been changing water more often but wondering if anyone else is using?

Garlic, anyone using that in the water or as a supplement?

LOVE feeding the FF just need to figure out a good feeder for the chicks, they love to tramp & sometimes poop in it.

tashKauai - Just last night read about "Miracle Water" for chicks; 1/2 gal of water, 1/2c honey, 1 - 2 clove garlic, 2T ACV .... Not sure if it's any good. Honey is what I question since some say no honey but the thread said it for electrolytes. Try searching it & hope your baby pull through.

Back
Top Bottom