Any Home Bakers Here?

Baking question.

I used to be a great cake maker!! However all that changed when I moved Countries! I now live in a place with no gas, so I have to have an electric oven. And since then, my cakes have become dry! And I've tried and tried with no success. The recipe I use is the same recipe I have used for years and now it does not work! I am after a recipe for a basic sponge sandwich or tips on how to make it work in an electric oven without drying out completely! I have all these beautiful fresh eggs and my cakes make me cry!!!

Baking question.

I used to be a great cake maker!! However all that changed when I moved Countries! I now live in a place with no gas, so I have to have an electric oven. And since then, my cakes have become dry! And I've tried and tried with no success. The recipe I use is the same recipe I have used for years and now it does not work! I am after a recipe for a basic sponge sandwich or tips on how to make it work in an electric oven without drying out completely! I have all these beautiful fresh eggs and my cakes make me cry!!!
The new oven is likely off for temperature. Get an oven thermometer and check.

Stuff with eggs and more fat in it cannot go over 350F(or equivalent in C). My guess is that you are 25degrees F too high in the oven

Baking question.

It might not be the oven. Moving 2 miles, I cannot make good anything, especially cookies. My dh’s aunt couldn’t get anything to bake right here even in the gas oven.
Humidity and elevation are issues.

Granddaughter turned 7!:clap
Birthday party yesterday, so for really good bakers and decorators I feel it must be said.
As I was complimenting the cake lady. On what a wonderful job she did her helpers (son and husband) were kind enough to explain how they were finger dipping batter as she was making it calling it quality check. :hit:sick

Forr public consumption, .. :smackDONT DO THAT!

Happy b-day to your granddaughter! Re: the finger dippers...Gross!! :sick

Baking question.

The new oven is likely off for temperature. Get an oven thermometer and check.

Stuff with eggs and more fat in it cannot go over 350F(or equivalent in C). My guess is that you are 25degrees F too high in the oven

It might not be the oven. Moving 2 miles, I cannot make good anything, especially cookies. My dh’s aunt couldn’t get anything to bake right here even in the gas oven.
Humidity and elevation are issues.

Do you know what your elevation is now? If you're over 5,000 feet, I'd guess that's the issue. When we moved to WY from FL, I had to re-learn some of my favorite recipes due to elevation and it's a lot more dry here.

A couple of things that have helped me:
-Sometimes adding an extra egg yolk can help with dryness (egg whites are drying). If your recipe calls for 2 eggs, use 2 whole eggs plus 1 egg yolk.
-Reduce sugar by just a bit (remove a Tablespoon from a cup of sugar)
-Bread and cakes take a bit more flour so they don't sink in the middle
-Reduce the baking time, check for doneness about 5-10 minutes earlier than the recipe states

Some of my old stand-by recipes just plain won't work here so I've had to find high altitude specific recipes.

I made that up yesterday, tub of dough in the fridge overnight. We'll have homemade bread today! (No idea what dinner will be but at least we'll have bread :cool:)
Debby, LOVE this No Knead method of yours. Made a few changes
but the Bread smell is all over the house. I used Whole Wheat with the White added small amounts of wheat germ,chia seeds,
sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, whey protein powder, 7 Grains
mixture. Bread is cooling NOW...looks good. Thanks for the introduction to the No Knead Method. It is easy and works every time for me. I do grind all my seeds. Regards, Aria

Debby, LOVE this No Knead method of yours. Made a few changes
but the Bread smell is all over the house. I used Whole Wheat with the White added small amounts of wheat germ,chia seeds,
sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, whey protein powder, 7 Grains
mixture. Bread is cooling NOW...looks good. Thanks for the introduction to the No Knead Method. It is easy and works every time for me. I do grind all my seeds. Regards, Aria

Glad you're enjoying it Aria! You're right, it is easy and fun to try variations with it.

Back
Top Bottom