Any Home Bakers Here?

About a month ago, someone on another thread was going on and on about Chaga. According to them, it's a big deal in Minnesota :confused:

That was the first I'd ever heard of it.
My son told me about Chaga a few years ago, and I was making it regularly for quite awhile. Should start making it again. I used to buy it from a guy in northern Minnesota, where there's lots of birch trees. He's not terribly far from where we live, but always have him ship it.
Tonight we're having Tortellini Alfredo, which I cheat like heck on. I buy the 4-cheese tortellini from Costco, and some Bertolli (sp-?) Alfredo sauce. Then I cook and shred some chicken breasts and steam some broccoli and throw them in. Add a few herbs and seasonings, and top with Parmesan cheese. Hubs LOVES it, so I make it fairly often.

I'm jealous. I keep feeding the starter Penny Jo gave me, but I've been to afraid to use it to make bread. :oops:
Check the index on the first page if this thread for sourdough recipes and care instructions.

Keep the starter in the fridge and take it out a couple of hours before using it. Add a half a cup of flour to it to get it bubbling and then start the recipe. Most bread starts the night before.

Remember to keep some starter for replenishing!

Check the index on the first page if this thread for sourdough recipes and care instructions.

Keep the starter in the fridge and take it out a couple of hours before using it. Add a half a cup of flour to it to get it bubbling and then start the recipe. Most bread starts the night before.

Remember to keep some starter for replenishing!
Just add the flour? No water? Okay, and make the bread at night. And yes, I have found all your recipes. :highfive: Thanks for those!!!

My son told me about Chaga a few years ago, and I was making it regularly for quite awhile. Should start making it again. I used to buy it from a guy in northern Minnesota, where there's lots of birch trees. He's not terribly far from where we live, but always have him ship it.
Tonight we're having Tortellini Alfredo, which I cheat like heck on. I buy the 4-cheese tortellini from Costco, and some Bertolli (sp-?) Alfredo sauce. Then I cook and shred some chicken breasts and steam some broccoli and throw them in. Add a few herbs and seasonings, and top with Parmesan cheese. Hubs LOVES it, so I make it fairly often.

That sounds like a really good dinner!

Sourdough bread sounds amazing right now!

Soup's done!

IMG_20191119_180301.jpg

I think you need to hang out with her, and bake one day. You need encouragement in the kitchen, and she can make you feel secure to try.
I think you need to hang out with her, and bake one day. You need encouragement in the kitchen, and she can make you feel secure to try.
Yeah, Penny Jo. :love

Just add the flour? No water? Okay, and make the bread at night. And yes, I have found all your recipes. :highfive: Thanks for those!!!
Adding the flour as the starter warms up from the fridge helps to activate it. There are other instructions for replenishing the starter after using some of it to make the recipe.

There are a bunch of technical details about getting different levels of hydration(thickness) in starter but it does not really matter that much. After a while, you will figure out how thick the starter should be and how much water and flour to add in the replenishing part. Usually I put in something like 3\4 cup of water to 1 cup of AP flour.

I love sourdough!

Back
Top Bottom