Any Home Bakers Here?

I'm trying to make an authentic Italian recipe. Its called braccio di Ferro. It has Mozzarella, spinach, ricotta, and Parmesan. Didn't say anything about a sauce.
Loved the cake. When I do white Pizza, I'll brush the crust with a bit of Olive Oil and add a touch of minced garlic (sometimes I add some crushed red pepper flake for zing). But your recipe I think is using the ricotta as the sauce. I would be really tempted to add a bit of fresh basil, but follow Bob's advice... First time do it as written, then play with it to make it your own.

I intended to bake today because it's rainy and chilly here. But I seemed to have gotten lost looking for a specific recipe, which led to a book search, which led to a book sale on my fav used online book place, which led to 4 new (new to me) baking books for only $12 and one kindle book. Go me! :bun

Got no fresh bread to eat though.... 🤦‍♀️

The kindle book has really detailed instructions for making a GF sourdough starter, some of the best I've seen. I have not tried to get a GF starter going nor had sourdough anything since having to go GF.
I'm temped....very very temped.

I intended to bake today because it's rainy and chilly here. But I seemed to have gotten lost looking for a specific recipe, which led to a book search, which led to a book sale on my fav used online book place, which led to 4 new (new to me) baking books for only $12 and one kindle book. Go me! :bun

Got no fresh bread to eat though.... 🤦‍♀️

The kindle book has really detailed instructions for making a GF sourdough starter, some of the best I've seen. I have not tried to get a GF starter going nor had sourdough anything since having to go GF.
I'm temped....very very temped.
Go for it! and post your results and recipe!

When you (general you) are building a new sourdough starter, can you keep the discard in a jar in the fridge (or where ever) and add the subsequent discards to it until you have enough discard to make something with?
What I mean is when I tend to make pancakes or something simple, I make a lot at once, like a triple batch, so I can freeze the extras and then they are easy grabs for kiddo for breakfasts.
Can the discards be saved up for a mega batch of something?

I never really have discard for Sour Dough. I take the jar of starter out of the fridge, feed it, and let it sit overnight. I remove what I need for baking and put the rest back in the refrigerator. If I use most of it for baking, I will feed it again, let it sit overnight and then refrigerate.
If I am not baking for a while, I will take it out and feed it, let it sit overnight and then put it back in the fridge without removing any. If I eventually get too much starter in my jar, I make Amish friendship bread or cherry (or apple) sourdough coffee cake to use the extra up.

Once in a great while, I will pour the extra down the drain to give the septic a treat, lol.

Back
Top Bottom