2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 1/2 cups Bread Flour
Mix all together in a large bowl. Cover plastic warm place to rise
1 1/2 hours or until double
Stir in the bowl...little flour on board...with scraper just turn to
shape for a 9 x 5 Greased tin...drop in. Rise 30 minutes in tin
covered....to top of tin (will rise a little when in oven) 400 oven
30 - 35 minutes. Golden Brown

@Aria, do you butter the top of this loaf when it comes out of the oven? Or brush it with egg white before baking, anything like that? It's just so pretty!

I miss having sassafras tea.

My ex used to drink it every night. It gave him night sweats something awful. After a while we couldn't get it any more and were told it causes cancer. Later he got leukemia. He survived but 15 years later he got liver cancer. He got a transplant and survived that too but still has other cancers and Parkinson's. We don't know if the tea had anything to do with it but... I wouldn't drink it. :(

I am baking almost every day now. This is a recipe from a book called The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. It is so easy! No knead, kind of a combo of yeast and sourdough. You mix up a batter, let it rise, then put it in the fridge. As early as the next day you can tear off a lump, shape it into a ball and bake it. I bake mine on a pizza stone. It makes about four round loaves. I'm posting a pic of the book cover as well as today's loaf, which DH says is my prettiest to date. I love this man! ;)

View attachment 1979459

And this is the book, which we got at Barnes & Noble but which I am sure is available wherever you get your books.

View attachment 1979467

That's like the bread I make often. Can't remember where I got the recipe, maybe it's the same one?
Post #5980 of 25018

That's like the bread I make often. Can't remember where I got the recipe, maybe it's the same one?
Post #5980 of 25018

It does indeed sound pretty much like the original recipe! The current adaptation has a formula of 3-1-1-6.5. That's 3 c water, 1 Tbsp each of yeast and salt, and 6 1/2 c flour. I like to fiddle with the flour a bit. My current batch has 3 1/2 c all-purpose flour, 1 c bread flour and 2 c whole wheat, plus 2 Tbsp wheat germ. Delicious!

I've learned to wear a glove when pouring the water into the bottom of the 500°F oven so I don't steam my hand! Then I turn it down to 475° after 10 minutes, then set the timer for an additional 25 minutes, for a total of 35. The initial setting of 500 is to get good "oven spring," or a well-risen loaf. We hardly eat commercial bread at all any more. :p

It does indeed sound pretty much like the original recipe! The current adaptation has a formula of 3-1-1-6.5. That's 3 c water, 1 Tbsp each of yeast and salt, and 6 1/2 c flour. I like to fiddle with the flour a bit. My current batch has 3 1/2 c all-purpose flour, 1 c bread flour and 2 c whole wheat, plus 2 Tbsp wheat germ. Delicious!

I've learned to wear a glove when pouring the water into the bottom of the 500°F oven so I don't steam my hand! Then I turn it down to 475° after 10 minutes, then set the timer for an additional 25 minutes, for a total of 35. The initial setting of 500 is to get good "oven spring," or a well-risen loaf. We hardly eat commercial bread at all any more. :p

I like the mix of flours you're using!

Aria & BigBlueHen53 - your loaves of bread look delicious! Makes me feel like making some bread myself. Penny, your pizza looked delicious, as well.

So guys, yesterday we went shopping at Costco's. They were selling Roast Half Duck, 28 oz. packages with orange sauce for like $1.98 each! Well of course I grabbed a few, after verifying with a Costco employee that the price listed wasn't a misprint. The duck is fully cooked, and the instructions are to just bake in a shallow pan for 15-20 minutes. I did read a few reviews where people weren't really crazy about the orange sauce that comes with the duck. I was thinking of possibly making a glaze from our left-over Thanksgiving cranberry/orange sauce instead.
When I was a kid, my dad and brothers would go hunting, and I did NOT like eating duck. Too gamey for me, although I didn't like a lot of things when I was a kid that I like now. Also, the duck I bought at Costco is White Pekin, which I understand is a lot milder than wild duck. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have bought more of the duck, and if my son is heading to town today (where the Costco is), I may ask him to pick up some more at that great price. I hope we like the duck, cause I really don't know how it will turn out!

Aria & BigBlueHen53 - your loaves of bread look delicious! Makes me feel like making some bread myself. Penny, your pizza looked delicious, as well.

So guys, yesterday we went shopping at Costco's. They were selling Roast Half Duck, 28 oz. packages with orange sauce for like $1.98 each! Well of course I grabbed a few, after verifying with a Costco employee that the price listed wasn't a misprint. The duck is fully cooked, and the instructions are to just bake in a shallow pan for 15-20 minutes. I did read a few reviews where people weren't really crazy about the orange sauce that comes with the duck. I was thinking of possibly making a glaze from our left-over Thanksgiving cranberry/orange sauce instead.
When I was a kid, my dad and brothers would go hunting, and I did NOT like eating duck. Too gamey for me, although I didn't like a lot of things when I was a kid that I like now. Also, the duck I bought at Costco is White Pekin, which I understand is a lot milder than wild duck. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have bought more of the duck, and if my son is heading to town today (where the Costco is), I may ask him to pick up some more at that great price. I hope we like the duck, cause I really don't know how it will turn out!

That sure was a good buy on the duck!

That's a great buy. The flavor of the duck will depend largely on it's diet and age. A pekin at 14 weeks or younger will be very tender and have a light flavor. Wild duck tends to have more of a fishy flavor.

Wow finally got caught up. So going back to chia seeds we finally cracked the code if you want a non soupy mixture. 1 cup chia to 1-1/2 cup milk. Then treat it like an oatmeal and add whatever goodness you like to it. We have been doing maple syrup, cinnamon and turbinado sugar to taste and naturally a spot of vanilla.

My fruit truck guy was in town yesterday from Mexico so I picked up a box of mangoes. Plus other sundries and 2 sugar beets just because we have never worked with those before and they look to have a long shelf life.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom