Any Home Bakers Here?

On another note…

IMG_2476.jpeg

IMG_2477.jpeg

Fresh out of the cast iron Dutch oven.

Jared, your pineapple upside down cake looks scrumptious! Do you put a half of a maraschino cherry in each pineapple slice before baking? Makes it really pretty. About your fireplace episode, so glad you caught that! Imagine if you had gone to bed! We always stir the embers for about three days before the coals and ashes are completely cold and safe to take out. The ashes insulate very well and keep those embers hot! Also if you have a safe place to dispose of them outside, that's a really good idea, not in the house.

I was cleaning out the fireplace, and there must’ve been some hot embers I did not notice. About 15 minutes after I discarded them, smoke came out of the garbage can. I immediately took it outside and use the extinguisher to put it out.

Well, lesson learned, make sure everything in the fireplace is out before cleaning it.

At least I learned how to use a fire extinguisher.
Jared,
Glad that you caught the fire right away!

The best practice is to have a metal can with a tight-fitting lid that you put the ashes in when you clean a fireplace. Store the can outside - away from the house. You never know when there will be hot ember left over.
So many house and garage fires are caused by hot embers mistakenly thrown into a garbage can where they flare up because they get oxygen.

Used to be that you would "bank your fire" by covering hot coals in ash and leaving for the day so it to be used in the evening to restart the fire. Just remove the ash, add a little bit of tinder and blow gently. Voila, fire. We did that many times when were at our cabin for the weekend. We used the fireplace for cooking suppers, so only used it in the evenings.

Back
Top Bottom