Anyone hatch out their own meat birds?

And then I looked up just poultry breeding........ahhhhhhhhh.... its like I just landed in old chicken papers from the 1880-1940 treasure trove.........I am downloading to hard drive, and you can download kindle versions, my wife says I am chicken in the head....but when you can combine like several things you enjoy, Reading, History, and Chickens all in one....its like Christmas!

Found one by H Lamon, the guy who created the Lamona...yeah downloading that one....and haha...I already own a hard copy of that one...

haha, I was just reading this chicken magazine from like 1913 and there are all these adds where people were bragging about how you should buy their book becuase they can tell you how to get a 2 1/2lb chicken by 8 weeks...man if those guys could see what we get in 8 weeks now!

I agree, it is pretty crazy that we can get an 8 lb chicken in 8 weeks!

Those articles look pretty cool, maybe you can give me the Coles Notes version? ;)

I am trying to wrap my head around my CX and my layers (getting both around the same time, would ideally raise them together or side by side- hoping that the CX would be more active and grow slowly.)

I'm hoping by mid april it will be warm enough here to have them outside in the barn, along with Mama Heating pad. The coop I'd put them in is about 15x 15.
I was thinking of putting the 20 layer chicks in a playpen in the centre (its 3.5 x 3.5 feet) so the CX can see the layers, see how they move and scratch and stay active.... and also this would make the CX move from one side of coop (water) to the other side (feed). I was also going to restrict feed to 30 minutes 2x a day if I felt it was needed (for CX). I was also thinking I could make a little obstacle on either side of the playpen- so to get from water to feed the CX would have to climb up and down over a few bricks/2x4s. nothing too crazy- just a hop or two....

If each baby chick group has its own food/water/mama heat pad, would this set up be ok??? Temperatures will be around 3 C or 4 C at night (40 F) and around 13-15 C (58 F) during the day.
There will also be 8 full size chickens (1 rooster and 7 layers) in the next stall over, for added heat and visual interest. (eventually about 6 of my 20 layer chicks will join this flock).

I figure the meat birds will be ready for processing by June 27 (10 weeks- I am hoping for slower than average growth-) and will be living in a large chicken tractor as soon as it is warm enough to do so.... ?? (can i make a chicken tractor that has an upper floor for sleeping? anyone seen plans or have ideas for this?- my husband is very handy and can build anything I design).

Are there any major flaws in my plan? Things that I am forgetting? Not thinking about??

My barn floor is dirt, and I have been using straw (deep litter method) very effectively with my layers. Its nice and dry and easy to keep clean. But I am hoping to use dirt for chicks- is this a problem??

The birds I bought were called "White Rock Cornish Cross (broiler )" The hatchery has recommended a revised feeding schedule for healthier birds, slower growth--right on the website AD. Do you think I'd be able to keep on of these hens to maturity and breed them?? With what? My Cream Legbar? or do I try and save a rooster and a hen and breed them together? I have the space. But I only have one rooster. My ideal bird would have big thighs since I like those best.. Even if my WRCX laid fertilised eggs- I'd never get enough form one hen to feed my family.
Trying to start living off all (or mostly all) our own grown or raised food. I love this conversation and will be following along on the TOAD thread- but there is just hours of reading to do!!!
If you want big thighs go with Freedom Rangers.

I agree, it is pretty crazy that we can get an 8 lb chicken in 8 weeks!

Those articles look pretty cool, maybe you can give me the Coles Notes version? ;)

I am trying to wrap my head around my CX and my layers (getting both around the same time, would ideally raise them together or side by side- hoping that the CX would be more active and grow slowly.)

I'm hoping by mid april it will be warm enough here to have them outside in the barn, along with Mama Heating pad. The coop I'd put them in is about 15x 15.
I was thinking of putting the 20 layer chicks in a playpen in the centre (its 3.5 x 3.5 feet) so the CX can see the layers, see how they move and scratch and stay active.... and also this would make the CX move from one side of coop (water) to the other side (feed). I was also going to restrict feed to 30 minutes 2x a day if I felt it was needed (for CX). I was also thinking I could make a little obstacle on either side of the playpen- so to get from water to feed the CX would have to climb up and down over a few bricks/2x4s. nothing too crazy- just a hop or two....

If each baby chick group has its own food/water/mama heat pad, would this set up be ok??? Temperatures will be around 3 C or 4 C at night (40 F) and around 13-15 C (58 F) during the day.
There will also be 8 full size chickens (1 rooster and 7 layers) in the next stall over, for added heat and visual interest. (eventually about 6 of my 20 layer chicks will join this flock).

I figure the meat birds will be ready for processing by June 27 (10 weeks- I am hoping for slower than average growth-) and will be living in a large chicken tractor as soon as it is warm enough to do so.... ?? (can i make a chicken tractor that has an upper floor for sleeping? anyone seen plans or have ideas for this?- my husband is very handy and can build anything I design).

Are there any major flaws in my plan? Things that I am forgetting? Not thinking about??

My barn floor is dirt, and I have been using straw (deep litter method) very effectively with my layers. Its nice and dry and easy to keep clean. But I am hoping to use dirt for chicks- is this a problem??
towards the end , the cx may not go to the upper level.
if you move the chicken tractor daily, dirt will work. otherwise you will need bedding, they poop a lot

yes, we would move the tractor every day we have lots of grass for them.
No - i meant in the barn would dirt work- before they could free range --but I guess you answered my question - need bedding due to lots of pooping.

It will be an interesting experience raising meat birds and fine tuning it to get the bird we like and give it the good life that makes me feel ok about eating it ... and if that is something we can do without a hatchery (and an incubator) I would be super happy.

20180315_184849.jpg
Why don't meat birds live omg?
They do live if you feed them correctly. On a limit feed system. Betty came from Murray McMurray on 2/6/2015. She is 3 years old and I have retired her from my breeding program. She has produced over 200 chicks for me. She is now living a life of leisure.
Her kids, grand kids, great-great grand kids:

Attachments

• 20160323_175609 (2).jpg
    20160323_175609 (2).jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20151121_162709.jpg
    20151121_162709.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 700.jpg
    700.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170527_120722.jpg
    20170527_120722.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Bob and white cornish girls.jpg
    Bob and white cornish girls.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Matthew.jpg
    Matthew.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 12
View attachment 1297701
They do live if you feed them correctly. On a limit feed system. Betty came from Murray McMurray on 2/6/2015. She is 3 years old and I have retired her from my breeding program. She has produced over 200 chicks for me. She is now living a life of leisure.
Her kids, grand kids, great-great grand kids:

In your experience- would it be better to try and keep CX hens to breed with non-CX rooster, or to keep CX rooster to try and breed with non- CX hens?

Obviously more ideal to keep one CX rooster (since I have several hens already- and a few that are large bodied)-- but will a CX rooster (1 year old) be able to mate with spritely, large hens? do they have what it takes, so to speak?

Back
Top Bottom