Anyone know how to judge amoxicillin dose for a five pound Brahma hen?

This raises a question. Birds are not mammals, infact reptiles evolved from birds. The cat is somewhere in between. They tend to be hypersensitive to mammalian treatments.

Have you also noticed whilst we can cure infestations in humans, we do not in other mammalians?
I detect a scam. Vet?

Let's put it this way if you wouldn't take it..... Don't give them it. What's good for the goose is......

You cannot compare the metabolism of a chicken with other animals, including humans. Otherwise we would be excreting waste every two hours.

Veterinary formula that i have for Amoxicillin/Ampicillin is Birds(passerines & doves)150-200 mg/kg BID(2x daily) other mammals 11-22 mg/kg BID-TID(2-3x daily) and reptiles 6 mg/kg SID-BID(1-2x daily)

Veterinary formula that i have for Amoxicillin/Ampicillin is Birds(passerines & doves)150-200 mg/kg BID(2x daily) other mammals 11-22 mg/kg BID-TID(2-3x daily) and reptiles 6 mg/kg SID-BID(1-2x daily)
Wow, that's even higher than what mine says! Good to know, thanks!

Here are some pictures:
Amoxicillin info from Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook

-Kathy

Last edited:
Fair enough Kathy. Only I personally disagree. No offence intended. And quoted an up to date government reference :)

Last edited:
Actually the reference given compares blood plasma concentration levels. So yes, I can :)

Yes it may be given more but is it justified? Human maximum absorption is 49%. Average 39%. Chook average estimate is in the order of 63% +/- 4.58 %
This suggests the chicken more readily absorbs amoxicillin in blood plasma than the human. So we are looking at over 50x human dosage....

Thank you for the welcome. Only I am an old hand. Lost email/ password.

Regards,
What was your old ID?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom