Arkansas Blue egg layers

Pics
Crossing fingers for you !

Also 2 of mine took much longer to dry off and thrive than the other birds - they have totally caught up by day 2 .... but I made sure to fuss over them a little - making sure i stood them near food and water..... One when it was dark, moved around and got in the waterer ..... oh MY could it PEEP for help ! ha ha dried it off and took the waterer out for the night. All is well with morning.

I know I promised pics - I've been so busy .... I WILL set aside time this weekend ... very interesting that my pure AB are almost identical to the 1/2 AB crossed with olive eggers ... that roo did put his color stamp on the chicks.

The little one hatched out this morning! Seems to have hatched out just as healthy as the others only 2 days later
tongue.png
. (S)he is blue!

The little one hatched out this morning! Seems to have hatched out just as healthy as the others only 2 days later
tongue.png
. (S)he is blue!
That is great!

They do hatch later but are healthy. It takes some restraint to not help them--which would be a bad thing to do.

Good Job!

That is great!

They do hatch later but are healthy. It takes some restraint to not help them--which would be a bad thing to do.

Good Job!
It took a LOT of restraint! Particularly with just how late he or she was. Litterally the last of the 12 eggs to hatch out, about 12 hours after it's nearest sibling who also pipped late.

Hope you all don't mind the very poor picture quality but here is a picture of my new U of A blue chick with my Blue Merle mini Aussie Maila. She has been around chicks since the first day we got her, she is very good with them.

Here is a video of her with one of my barred project Ameraucana chicks that hatched 2 days ago.

Last edited:
Hope you all don't mind the very poor picture quality but here is a picture of my new U of A blue chick with my Blue Merle mini Aussie Maila. She has been around chicks since the first day we got her, she is very good with them.

Here is a video of her with one of my barred project Ameraucana chicks that hatched 2 days ago.

Cute!

Great news ! and loved the video - especially when the chick pecked the dog :) Mine one is that gentle with the peeps too. :)

Bad news on the breeding front.... My beautiful, sweet splash AB pullet got eaten by either a hawk or my dog yesterday. She got out of her pen yesterday while I was out and all I came home to was some feathers... My dog has been around my chickens since she was 8 weeks old without any incidents other than pestering them in order to get them to chase her but she was "playing" with this pullet earlier in the day according to my wife. She has never been aggressive to any of my birds before but has been more interested in them lately. There are lots of hawks around so I never let them out of there pen. I cant believe my 22 lb dog could eat an entire chicken at one time but I guess anything is possible. Anyway you look at it I lost my favorite pullet and am now down to 1 pair of purebred ABs. I do have 4 chicks I am growing out and have 8 eggs set aside right now and will put them in the incubator in the next week or so.... Glad I sent some eggs out to some people last month!!!! Dont want to lose this breed!!!

Oh ! :( So very sorry ......

Mine area all growing out well ... if you want to do an exchange - or get some eggs from these when I add in the new unrelated roo over the hens .... I'll be glad to help!

Yes, we such a small number that something like this is just horrible.

I also tend to think it was not the dog .....

Back
Top Bottom