Arkansas Blue egg layers

Pics
Im having a hard time determining what kind of comb these birds are supposed to have. A number of them look rose combed some look single comb. The combs seem all over the place.
Male combes are oddly twisted. Female combs are not super large but kind of a combination between pea and straight.

Araucana x leghorn makes a combination comb between the two.

pullets:

Cockerel:

Interesting - I thought comb was an all or nothing expression of genes - but it does seem to blend here.

I like their smaller comb for my winters ...I'll take a look at my roo later this weekend and see if he will hold still enough for me to get a good pic to share.

Interesting - I thought comb was an all or nothing expression of genes - but it does seem to blend here.

I like their smaller comb for my winters ...I'll take a look at my roo later this weekend and see if he will hold still enough for me to get a good pic to share.

There are many genes for combs and they are not straight recessive and dominant.

This is some of them--there are others:

that is pretty cool !

Chicks going strong and really feathering out - will send update pics next week .....

that is pretty cool !  

Chicks going strong and really feathering out - will send update pics next week ..... 
Looking forward to seeing the pics! I have 4 growing out.. They are my favorites when they are small. The long tails, posture and coloration really make them stand out. I love the way they walk around. I've got 8 more eggs in lockdown right now. I never candled them so not sure how many are developing...

Updated Pics - not too many - they don't like to hold still and so I only get pics when the weather is nice, DH is home and we both have time for a photo shoot .... um hum ....

So - tell me what you think - don't hold back - I am not going to cull any until next spring any way - and my cull will just be putting in the mixed layer flock .... so they have time to develop well, change or whatever. ....

So I've got 4 like the white/splash with various levels of splashing - and two like the dark one - blue?

So far - no real indication of whose a hen or roo.

Updated Pics - not too many - they don't like to hold still and so I only get pics when the weather is nice, DH is home and we both have time for a photo shoot .... um hum ....

So - tell me what you think - don't hold back - I am not going to cull any until next spring any way - and my cull will just be putting in the mixed layer flock .... so they have time to develop well, change or whatever. ....

So I've got 4 like the white/splash with various levels of splashing - and two like the dark one - blue?

So far - no real indication of whose a hen or roo.
They are cute!

Look for wattles and the boys usually crow at about 6 weeks(sometimes earlier....). The blue one might be a boy.

Back
Top Bottom