August 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
First pip. Beginning of day 20 on these shipped eggs. 🤞

2BFA4911-B961-4E85-9315-FABD3E37E84C.jpeg

I thought it looked like twins too...

If I had mine to do again...I'd have assisted sooner...

I thought abt it a few times...had I know hatching was gonna start on day 19 I would have...sigh...
Yeah, it sounds like one of the few cases where chances of surviving "natural birth" are so low it might be worth the risk to assist, even a bit early?

You couldn't have known hatching started early so it can't be helped but it might be some comfort to know that if I have twins and they make it, it will be thanks to you :hugs

1692325452652.jpeg

This is where the broody hen was nesting. Under those cedars.

1692325699451.jpeg

She was a very good girl and didn't struggle when I took the eggs and then her, putting them all in a straw-lined bucket.

1692326057850.jpeg

And here she is in a rabbit cage. I placed her in and then her eggs, and she went and plopped right back down on them. Such a good girl!!!

I'll candle the eggs tomorrow and see how far along they are.

I am joining this- didn't think i would be but a good deal off hatching eggs. They come from a satin, frizzle, silkie combined pen. No idea on how good the quality is, but it was a good deal.
I got 12 of those, and then 6 are from my own silkie pen (Only two are laying, either the one that went broody or my black silkies eggs, rooster is partridge. )
The broody has 6 eggs, 2 out if the dozen, 3 are mine.
That's 18, and i also have 1 call duck egg under the hen (drake is either pekin or call duck, don't think its fertile. ) I've never hatched duck eggs so no idea if the infertility is because ducks cant be mixed. Idk how that works.

View attachment 3612322

This is where the broody hen was nesting. Under those cedars.

View attachment 3612331

She was a very good girl and didn't struggle when I took the eggs and then her, putting them all in a straw-lined bucket.

View attachment 3612343

And here she is in a rabbit cage. I placed her in and then her eggs, and she went and plopped right back down on them. Such a good girl!!!

I'll candle the eggs tomorrow and see how far along they are.
She is so cute! What a nice hen!

Back
Top Bottom