August Hatch-A-Long

Hi everyone! Hope you don't mind if I post up on this thread. I have a broody Bantam Cochin that I have decided to let hatch some eggs. I do not have a rooster and ordered some eggs...also Bantam cochin..that should arrive this Thursday. This is the first time I have tried to hatch with a broody AND this will be her first time hatching as well
ep.gif
A little nervous, so any advice or insight from more experienced people before we begin would be very much appreciated! Mind if I join your hatch-a-long?
Welcome to the 'gang'!

Im cheating here as in the July hatchalong for my 11 duckies and 4 mystery chicks due to hatch next week, but as my home is quite small that meant selling my quail so the ducks orthe chicks dont pose a biothreat the them and the woman who bought them owns a large farm breeding minature silver appleyards duck's and pekin bantams as well as quail (seperate barns) so she brought me some hatching eggs as well as money (how could I refuse?) So I now have 6 ducks and 6 bantams set today! Which also means staggered hatch dates which is a first so will have to be on the ball. Technically with chicken match though the 11ducks Im waiting on dont count as they have detached air cells so anything could happen and the 4 mystery chicks are from a free flock of numerous varieties and were just sold as fresh eggs rather than hatching eggs so how can you count them if you dont know what they are so that means I only have my 6 ducks and 6 bantams so I qualify for August yay!

I will be going on vacation the last week in July, so I will be setting my first eggs the first week in August. I just started my first flock in April with 15 day olds from the feed store. We are down to 12 and they are 12 weeks old. 6 of them are cockerels so we will be getting rid of at least 4 of the cockerels. What originally started out as a plan to have about 6 hens has grown into me wanting at least 20. Ya'll did warn me about chicken math.

Chicken math strikes again

Im cheating here as in the July hatchalong for my 11 duckies and 4 mystery chicks due to hatch next week, but as my home is quite small that meant selling my quail so the ducks orthe chicks dont pose a biothreat the them and the woman who bought them owns a large farm breeding minature silver appleyards duck's and pekin bantams as well as quail (seperate barns) so she brought me some hatching eggs as well as money (how could I refuse?) So I now have 6 ducks and 6 bantams set today! Which also means staggered hatch dates which is a first so will have to be on the ball. Technically with chicken match though the 11ducks Im waiting on dont count as they have detached air cells so anything could happen and the 4 mystery chicks are from a free flock of numerous varieties and were just sold as fresh eggs rather than hatching eggs so how can you count them if you dont know what they are so that means I only have my 6 ducks and 6 bantams so I qualify for August yay!
LOL..yes you definitely qualify for August! I have 6 Banatm eggs due Thursday. I LOVE Bantams
smile.png
Mine are Cochin...what are yours?

Pekin and that is all I know! She just said she breeds pekin bantams and minature silver appleyards would I like some eggs... Not a tricky question! My mystery eggs are the ones peaking my curiousity though. 1 is slightly smaller than a shop chicken egg or a RIR, white but bigger than the pekin bantàms I would guess about partridge size, another is white narrow and almost as long as a duck egg and the other two are brown, one with speckles... At the farm I picked them up from I saw everything from polish to RIR light sussex buffs pekins etc so keep googling egg colour and guessing! Will take a pick in a bit as due to turn them!

Pekin and that is all I know! She just said she breeds pekin bantams and minature silver appleyards would I like some eggs... Not a tricky question! My mystery eggs are the ones peaking my curiousity though. 1 is slightly smaller than a shop chicken egg or a RIR, white but bigger than the pekin bantàms I would guess about partridge size, another is white narrow and almost as long as a duck egg and the other two are brown, one with speckles... At the farm I picked them up from I saw everything from polish to RIR light sussex buffs pekins etc so keep googling egg colour and guessing! Will take a pick in a bit as due to turn them!
On the right is the duck egg for size comparison

I know , I have had a look at the egg colour chart but there are so many with different looks but similar egg shells and these will be hybrids probably anyway as they are all pure but freeranging together so it could be anything, counting down... Size days til they are due lol

I know , I have had a look at the egg colour chart but there are so many with different looks but similar egg shells and these will be hybrids probably anyway as they are all pure but freeranging together so it could be anything, counting down... Size days til they are due lol
HAHA...even with the egg color chart you will get it "figured out" and then they will turn out to be something different
wink.png
I think surprise is part of the fun of hatching
thumbsup.gif
Good luck with your hatch!

Back
Top Bottom