August Hatch-A-Long

I like mine. It holds temp and humidity pretty well as long as the room its in does the same. Right now its in my laundry room and its doing great there. I traded two dozen hatching eggs for mine, but I think they run around $40-45 at TSC. I don't have a fan or turner, so I'm not sure what they'll set you back if you're wanting them. I think the new ones have a digital thermostat too, which would be so much easier to adjust than the little knob on my older one!

Awww...they are all adorable babies:love   Any thoughts what your mystery babies might be? I am no good at guessing ;)

Short answer: no!!

There is a petting zoo downstairs with around 30-40 freerange chickens of every breed I can recognise there and they sell fresh eggs so I thought why not put 6 in the incubator as my ducks are due then anyway. 4 developed and 3 have now hatched and the fourth is pipped. I am counting on clever people here to give their best guesses and we will see how they turn out! I have seen light sussex, rhode island red, branhma, polish, silkies, pekin bantams, barred rocks, austrlorps, sablepoots, buffs, and so so many more then so goodness knows! There is a very active light sussex rooster so my guess is the pale chick is a light sussex cross!

Any guesses, lol?

Welcome AmyLM and howfunkyisyourchicken!

Not long calichicken, it flies by.

Another duck pip!

I have three nests that will hopefully have broodies soon!

Sigh!!! I wish my five hens thought of going broody. They were all previously locked up and they laid well but none went broody. They are now currently happy free ranging spaciously (maybe only until the ducks and guineas arrive). Does anyone believe they might be tempted to go broody now?

Last edited:
Hi all, hope you don't mind me welcoming myself here but i just set 16 shipped eggs from Meyer in my homemade incubator tonight so I'm thinking if any of them hatch it will be 8/13 or shortly after. This is my 1st hatch attempt.

Hi all, hope you don't mind me welcoming myself here but i just set 16 shipped eggs from Meyer in my homemade incubator tonight so I'm thinking if any of them hatch it will be 8/13 or shortly after. This is my 1st hatch attempt.

Welcome and good luck happy hatching! This is my first attempt at shipped eggs but I've had good hatch rates on local eggs the past couple of years. What breeds did you get

Welcome and good luck happy hatching! This is my first attempt at shipped eggs but I've had good hatch rates on local eggs the past couple of years. What breeds did you get
Thank you! I received 2 Assorted Bantams, 4 Easter Eggers, 2 Speckled Sussex, 2 Black Australorp, 2 Buff Orpington, 2 Barred Rocks, & 2 Rhode Island Reds. I can't seem to identify an air cell in any of them. I candled them when they came & I set them fat end up in the basement for 24 hours, then last night I candled them as I was putting them in the incubator (I let them warm up to room temp for 6 hours 1st). I can see darker blobs that float at the fat top, is that the yolk or do you think that is detached air cells? I hope your 1st attempt at shipped goes well! I had to use clear fingernail polish on 4 eggs with small cracks, too.

Hatch over. All four mystery chicks hatched although one has a pea sized redbellybutton of unabsorbed yolk which I have covered with microderm tape to stop it getting infected, fingers crossed I will call him miracle if he survives as he was out with it about thumb sized and still soft and it took a lot to keep him back in to let it absorb as he was so desperate to flop about with the others. Out of the 10 detached air cell ducks that made it to lockdown only two made it which is sad, several tried to pip internally but missed and some pipped but then seemed to get stuck with a vertical hatch, if I had caught them in time maybe I could have helped but as we are one day over today I thought they would still be fine. However I have to remind myself with detached air cells I should be pleased any madeit. My miracle chick is really black, not dark grey like the other two but jeg black-any ideas people?

Back
Top Bottom