August Hatch-A-Long

Could it have been a a fox or coyote cause they won't eat them there they will Bring them back to their den for their cubs but it seems a little late for that

I am so sorry for your loss. It must be hard not knowing what happened...

Thanks, i think it might have been a coyote, but the thing that stumped me is none of our chickens went missing, only the guineas. We had a coyote in our front yard last month. Pretty creepy considering it was that close in broad daylight

We had one of our Ducks went missing with no signs of feathers,bloody, anything. He was there when I was outside at noon, went back out at 2 and he was gone. I was hoping he just went to the swamps but its been a few weeks now..We have noticed a fox hanging around so pretty sure thats what got him...may be the case with the chickens?

Hey Guys!

I set 12 eggs under my broody hen on Saturday. They are Araucanas, Barnevelders and Plymouth Rocks. We have sadly already lost 2 eggs due to hen stepping on them :( she is a first time but and quite big but I think she has the hang of it now. I'm really nervous! I accidently let my broody out too long and the eggs were sort of room temp... Do you think they will still make it? They are on day 5. The hen went straight back onto the nest and they were warm again but do them they are ok? Ahh I'm so worried, I'm such a bad mum! I'm pinching myself because I forgot my broody, Eva, was out. And I have a thing blocking the nest box with the eggs in it so that the other hens don't disturb her. Which ment Eva couldn't go back into the nest. I really hope they are ok... Please help me guys! Will they be ok???

Hey Guys!

I set 12 eggs under my broody hen on Saturday. They are Araucanas, Barnevelders and Plymouth Rocks. We have sadly already lost 2 eggs due to hen stepping on them :( she is a first time but and quite big but I think she has the hang of it now. I'm really nervous! I accidently let my broody out too long and the eggs were sort of room temp... Do you think they will still make it? They are on day 5. The hen went straight back onto the nest and they were warm again but do them they are ok? Ahh I'm so worried, I'm such a bad mum! I'm pinching myself because I forgot my broody, Eva, was out. And I have a thing blocking the nest box with the eggs in it so that the other hens don't disturb her. Which ment Eva couldn't go back into the nest. I really hope they are ok... Please help me guys! Will they be ok???

How long ?

How far are u going

I'll be moving about an hour away, all paved roads.
Yikes! Can you ask this question in the hatching forum? I would put my bator in a much larger box well surrounded by Styrofoam chunks or packing peanuts (?). I don't know if it would work, but that would help absorb the shock & jolt the eggs less. Also, would your bator hold a high enough humidity during the car ride? Seems like it would be more manageable on Thursday as the eggs are still supposed to be getting turned that day so the jostling car ride should have less impact on them & the humidity level is lower before lockdown...this is all speculation as I am a hatching noob, too. I really hope it works out for you & your eggs!

I think I'm more worried about jostling them around when they are supposed to be getting into position to hatch. I think the temp and humidity will get lower but not so much as to disturb the eggs. If I bring them Thursday they will be alone in my house until Friday. Then they will be alone Friday night until we get there on Saturday. We were supposed to move last weekend so this could all be avoided but obviously that didn't happen!

Good morning! Well not much to update but I still hear peeping and now I'm hearing the knocking on the shell!! Hoping for an external pip soon!
wee.gif
I know they sure are stressing me out
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom