August Hatch-A-Long

Moved 38 fluffy quail to the brooder this morning. I'll give the remaining eggs a day or two before cleaning out the incubator and starting over again.

I can't wait for mine to hatch!!! what are the first stages of hatching?
I guess some people can see internal pip when the candle before lockdown but I'm way to new at this to tell. I heard the peeping so I knew someone had internal pip. The first visual I believe is the external pip and then the zipping out. From what I'm gathering, the time from internal pip to external can take anywhere from a few hrs to 24 hrs. Then it can take several hrs till they start zipping. This is all new to me! I do hear the tapping on the shell this morning so just waiting to see who it is for the external pip!! I will post pics when I see it
jumpy.gif

I have chicks coming out the wazoo.

I have 7 older chicks, 11 hatched last week, 11 hatched this week and 4 more are pipping. There's another 60 eggs that will hatch in a staggered fashion. 12 due Friday and 15 more due Monday.

Wow, this really has become the August hatch-a-long.

Last edited:
I woke up at about 5 am to lots of peeping. Two chicks have hatched and several more have external pips. Both chicks hatched from my brown eggs. The moms are buff barred so their chicks should have sex linked colors. One that hatched is a male. The other was fathered by my buff EE that I no longer have and is a little solid yellow chick. I suppose I'll have to wait to find out the sex of that one. Time will tell.. but I don't plan on keeping many chicks fathered by that rooster. He was beautiful but didn't have as good of a personality as my other boys. That particular line has produced very sweet girls and rather mean boys. I only have room here for nice roosters.

I was concerned about my 2 eggs that externally pipped before I could take out the turner and increase humidity. One had hatched this morning but the other hadn't progressed. I was afraid that one would have problems. It hasn't expanded its pip at all. I've been checking the incubator regularly but never saw any more activity from it. It just suddenly got replaced with a chick! It must've just decided it was time to come out. It couldn't have taken her more than 20 minutes to zip and hatch. Now I have 3 little fuzz balls. One of the chicks in the white eggs is zipping now. Still not much activity from the blue and green eggs yet. No one is even due to hatch until tomorrow.

Day 16 here... 9 eggs looking good! Getting close : ) I am going to put them in my new, smaller bator/hatcher today because a big box o' eggs are due to arrive any minute! I am watching the tracking with bated breath : )

Back
Top Bottom