Australians - Where are you all????

Pics
Pity I cant pop him into a post bag like I do with the eggs
big_smile.png
I would have him to you in a flash. I have left him outside tonight just to see if he will wake me up in the morning. If he can wake me I will have to bring him back inside so he doesnt annoy the neighbours. I was thinking of maybe advertising for a swap for a female- But think its best if I just concentrate on just ducks for while. Maybe in a few years when I have a better set up at my land I will get a few silkies.

Don't think he'd appreciate being popped into a post bag somehow! You could maybe try what I do - I am on 2 acres, and we do have neighbours, they are pretty tolerant but I don't want to push it if you know what I mean. 2 of the roosters are noisy boys, so I bought an old chest at a 2nd hand store for $5. Hubby put a partition in it, I lined it with straw, and now they sleep in it and come out at a reasonable hour in the morning.It is in a shed at the bottom of the garden, and every night they are both waiting there to go into their box!Actually in the winter I think they are much better off, when I put my hand in there in the morning it is snuggly warm. Every time you go in there you can hear them chattering softly to each other. It's not cruel, but the alternative could be for many roosters. Where I take the dogs for a walk in the bush we are always coming across roosters that have ben dumped and are running feral, guess they are the lucky ones but I couldn't do that to any bird or animal.

OR - you could just continue to keep him indoors?
wink.png

Well...its 11 am here now...And I havent heard a peep so far!!!! But still he must go- I really cant risk it. I have too many ducks here is it is and dont want to give the neighbours any reason to complain.

Feral Roosters in the bush!! WOW they must be cunning to aviod predators out there on their own. I cant believe what people will do. Dumping roosters. It would be kinder to eat them- at least if they were culled in a humane way- they arent having to fend for themselves-

I had to do a similar thing with my ducks for a week while I got things ready in the shed for them. It was so time consuming putting 6 quackers away each night- and letting them out again. I had had an attempted breakin on the house at some horrible hour of the morning and I could calm them down- so thought it better to night box them for a few days to ensure the neighbours werent woken.

Quote:
Actually. I only see them (the roosters) once or twice, so I guess they don't survive!

Hope you find a lovely home for Maurie.
smile.png
It's such a shame u can't keep him!

Love the Avatar Chicken mouth...She looks lovely!!

Well...another dozen eggs into the hatcher tonight...I put them in two days earlier- just coz I love seeing them wiggle aroundand wobble- and the window on the hatcher is bigger. I had a candle and saw a few that although alive...were very small- so I dont know how they will all go. This is my biggest hatch for a while.. I have a lady that wants 10 ducklings- so I hope most of these guys make it out so she doesnt have to have different age groups.

wooklet..
sad.png
for the poor roosters...

Took this pic tonight....of my over crowded lounge room...

Photo removed

....There is still room for one more box!!!!

Last edited:
Now tell me Ducky with your overcrowded lounge of ducks!! (Which look absolutely darling) Do ducks gets aggressive as they get older??
I would love to get a couple of ducks (I include the possibility in my coop plans of the future) but I am worried that they will be "snappy" as they get bigger.
I have almost no experience with them, but of one friend who had one who started biting her daughter as it got bigger, and it has always stayed in my mind and made me wary.
hmm.png

I continue in my dreaming and planning as I have been extended till Cmas with full time work, which is kinda cool.
tongue.png
The upside being I hope to be able to save up for our holidays next year and also to get a permanent and safe area for chooks so I no longer need to worry about the dog getting them. He's pretty good now with them, but I totally don't trust him. He's a bird dog by breeding, so he just wants to flush them out and chase.
roll.png

Annabella, I have found that some hand raised males can be a bit aggressive- its a hormonal thing- but they can be trained to stop that kind of behaviour. I have a huge big fat Aylesbury drake who is a bachelor and will occasionally get a "bit too friendly" with myself or my daughter. I turn him on his back or carry him around for a while on his back- it teaches him I am dominant over him and the behaviour stops.

Getting them young and hand raising them is the key to having lovely tame ducks. It the one of the best selling points I have with mine. I can also be more sure they are going to better homes as pets- as those who buy mine at auction can cuddle them first- to see how tame they are- I rarely have a meat buyer take my ducks now- as people are willing to pay more for pets than for a meat bird.

Reminds me of a drake I saw on Dr. Harrys' show once(the vet). It hated toes and if anyone walked across the garden with bare feet it would attack them. Looked funny but probably wasn't for the attackee!
I do the same with my roosters if they attack me. Pick 'em up by the feet and carry them around upside down for a while, shows them who is boss. If they keep attacking, the neighbour ends up with a nice chicken dinner.(I'm vegetarian).
Your indoor ducks look so cute,Ducky! Best place for them in the winter. it's been SO cold here in Tassie, sometimes I feel like going out and bringing in all the chickens and putting them by the fire!We have 2 broody boxes in the house as well. Hubby said when I first started with chickens,"No chickens in the house"
gig.gif
Ha, that didn't last long !

Back
Top Bottom