Axe/hatchet method of chicken dispatch - is it the most humane and cost-efficient method?

Pics
Oh, I see. So these will cut off the entire head as well if the chicken is in a cone?

Looks risky to me because they look so small. I expected something bigger. Not sure I would trust those to give me a clean beheading in one try. They look excellent for butchering though.
Yes they work great as long as they are sharp. They are like really beefy scissors but made to cut through bone specifically. It only takes one snip. But I have pinched my hand in the back because I have a habit of closing my eyes and I try to go as fast as possible. Also I once made the mistake of skinning a goat with them and then culling a chicken without checking their sharpness so it just broke the neck and wouldn't cut anything. I couldn't imagine processing a chicken without them now though. The comparison of a knife vs these is crazy. I can actually handle processing more than one now.

We use the stump and axe method. I have a 5gal bucket ready and just slide the flopping bird into it right after the chop. You have to hold the bucket and bird though until it stops moving or it will just tip the bucket over and flop out. I have tried other methods but I like the certainty of no suffering that removing the head has. I have never had trouble with bruised meat. I feel like it is the most tried and true way.

We use the stump and axe method. I have a 5gal bucket ready and just slide the flopping bird into it right after the chop. You have to hold the bucket and bird though until it stops moving or it will just tip the bucket over and flop out. I have tried other methods but I like the certainty of no suffering that removing the head has. I have never had trouble with bruised meat. I feel like it is the most tried and true way.
This is actually exactly what we ended up doing! It works well. Only we did have one bruised wing from lowering the bird into the bucket too soon, but we learned after that.

And the bucket thing is nice because if you have lids, you can do a couple at a time, cover them, and not have to worry about flies or anything. Our slaughter area was behind our garage and we processed inside the garage, so it was also nice to have something somewhat discreet to carry them in so the neighbors aren't disturbed.

Oh, I see. So these will cut off the entire head as well if the chicken is in a cone?

Looks risky to me because they look so small. I expected something bigger. Not sure I would trust those to give me a clean beheading in one try. They look excellent for butchering though.
I would not use poultry shears for killing. Although they are great for butchering and cutting through bone they don't cut though skin very well. Loppers are good if there are two people, but not so much with just one, because it's rather difficult to keep control of the long handled tool and position the head/neck properly at the same time. What I've found to be best for one smallish person is non ratcheting PVC cutters as I can easily handle them with one hand. One good squeeze and it's done. This is the one I use.
1672420447874.png

I would not use poultry shears for killing. Although they are great for butchering and cutting through bone they don't cut though skin very well. Loppers are good if there are two people, but not so much with just one, because it's rather difficult to keep control of the long handled tool and position the head/neck properly at the same time. What I've found to be best for one smallish person is non ratcheting PVC cutters as I can easily handle them with one hand. One good squeeze and it's done. This is the one I use.
View attachment 3362138
I think I've seen you or others talk about that before on here. Interesting. Do you have to sharpen it often? Does it take a lot of hand strength to do? For example, could a lankier woman squeeze it hard enough? Also, is the opening big enough for some of the larger CX males?

I think I've seen you or others talk about that before on here. Interesting. Do you have to sharpen it often? Does it take a lot of hand strength to do? For example, could a lankier woman squeeze it hard enough? Also, is the opening big enough for some of the larger CX males?
I use PVC pipe cutter. I'm 64 yr old woman and 5ft 2. I used it on 4 yr old dark Cornish rooster last week. I have used it on smaller 6 months old turkeys.

I use PVC pipe cutter. I'm 64 yr old woman and 5ft 2. I used it on 4 yr old dark Cornish rooster last week. I have used it on smaller 6 months old turkeys.
Good to know! Maybe we'll have to try that next time around. I'm just so scared to try something that could result in an unclean kill. But you guys seem to say these do the job pretty well.

Good to know! Maybe we'll have to try that next time around. I'm just so scared to try something that could result in an unclean kill. But you guys seem to say these do the job pretty well.
As long as you give it a good squeeze and don't hesitate it's absolutely foolproof. I think Molpet does it the other way around from me, but I hook the U shaped bottom just under and behind the head, their neck nestles in there very nicely.
I don't use mine all the time, only when doing a few birds by myself, and I also use it for cutting PVC 🙃 but in 6 or 7 years it's never needed to be sharpened. They do make a version that had replaceable blades too.

Back
Top Bottom