AYAM CEMANI - Pure Black chicken, inside and out!

They are for sale on Craigslist in Central Florida priced at $50 for chicks under one month. The posts about them were so popular on Facebook that I imagine the middle quality specimens will be pretty easy and cheap to find very soon. I predict 18 months for a peak price before the novelty wears off. Still one hell of a cool looking chicken! Not sure if it is kosher to post the link to the Craigslist ad here but this is it and I don't know these people. :) http://lakeland.craigslist.org/grd/5431495282.html

Hey all I am new here and thought I'd share some of my photos and my thoughts. I agree that there are tons of Cemani scams unfortunately because I fell victim to a few of them, especially from eggs on ebay. I agree with Pyxis, Feather Lover Farms is legit and a great company to buy from. They promise only top quality chicks and that's exactly what they sent me. They are very good communicating and I will buy from them again this year. [COLOR=333333]Here's some of my Ayam Cemani. Let me know what you think. [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]I bred allot and culled hard and kept only the best of the best and repeated. That's what I have been doing and I'm getting some great results with this strategy. [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]I also am offering some of my Cemani eggs and chicks for sale. [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Please let me know your thoughts. [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Thank you[/COLOR]
these are the quality I received from feather lover farms. 7 out of 10 were roosters. all poor quality.

Never heard of them. I recommend going to a reputable breeder when you are spending allot of birds. Mine come from Greenfire and feather lover farms. I recieved excellent quality from both. I think Greenfire is crazy expensive though. $200 a chick with 6 minimum order. Feather lover is only $299 for 6 plus they sent me extra chicks multiple times and my birds that have solid black inside mouth and tongues came from them. I also sell chicks as well for $50 each that are high quality and solid black from both bloodlines. Hoping someone imports some new blood soon. Eventually new blood will be needed or we will have to out cross to keep the birds healthy and do selective breeding.

I am new to Ayam Cemanis. I bought from a breeder who showed me proof of his GF lineage.
Started with eggs and ended up with only 5 chicks. 2 have clear toes, the little cockerel. has a white mouth and white on the tip of his beak. Disappointed. Reading all this great breeder advice makes me realize that I should cull all the birds showing clear or white. So I guess I need a new rooster. I love the breed and would like to keep it true. Thank you all for the info and especially the photos. The photo is one of the chicks with her surrogate mother.

I am new to Ayam Cemanis. I bought from a breeder who showed me proof of his GF lineage. Started with eggs and ended up with only 5 chicks. 2 have clear toes, the little cockerel. has a white mouth and white on the tip of his beak. Disappointed. Reading all this great breeder advice makes me realize that I should cull all the birds showing clear or white. So I guess I need a new rooster. I love the breed and would like to keep it true. Thank you all for the info and especially the photos. The photo is one of the chicks with her surrogate mother.
This is actually a less active thread, there's a more active thread you can post on, but what I will tell you is that birds hatching black all of the time has not been achieved by a single breeder yet and may take years. If you want to start breeding with what you have, they will still throw all black offspring - raise those up and cull your original birds from the breeding flock at that time to get yourself going.

This is actually a less active thread, there's a more active thread you can post on, but what I will tell you is that birds hatching black all of the time has not been achieved by a single breeder yet and may take years. If you want to start breeding with what you have, they will still throw all black offspring - raise those up and cull your original birds from the breeding flock at that time to get yourself going.
Interesting and encouraging. 1st....can you link the better thread? I see several and not sure which is best. Thanks
My worst bird is the little rooster. I was worried about breeding him as some say to start with white is to finish with white. SO you are suggesting I breed them and keep the blacks from the next batch. Then cull the originals once I have the better blacks. OK. That encourages me. Thank you

This thread is the one that's usually more active:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/862688/the-american-cemani-breeders-club-open-forum

It's been a little quiet lately though. I would definitely try breeding from the ones you have and see what you get as far as offspring and start working from there. Even GFF sends out chicks that aren't all black - I've gotten chick orders from them before and can attest to that. As long as it's not real white or silver leakage (usually shows up in the hackle or saddle feathers of cockerels as they mature if they're going to get it) you likely won't have it pass to all offspring. Also, clear toenails fill in black as the bird grows up. I don't use birds with clear toenails or white toenails, but when you're just starting out it's not the end of the world to use them for one generation and see what they throw - as long as you cull hard the next generation you can make progress.

Back
Top Bottom